At every stage in life, humans look out for guidance.
Right from your school to college and even to your first job, we find the right guides, mentors, and coaches. So, why not find a coach when starting your own business?
Yes, we are talking about coaches for entrepreneurs. To lead an organization, new and even seasoned entrepreneurs need leadership mentoring. This is when leadership coaching becomes important.
Even if you are a successful entrepreneur, leadership coaching can be your way to expand your business and give a larger purpose to it. Let’s understand what exactly leadership coaching is, how it works, and how it can benefit you.
What Is Leadership Coaching?
Leadership coaching is a process in which specialized coaches help leaders at all levels to develop their leadership skills. The development process can be focused on achieving certain milestones, improving decision-making, problem-solving abilities, talent management, etc.
Leadership development coaching is personally designed to help leaders upskill and take their team and organization to the next level. The coach ensures that the leader realizes his/her complete potential and develops a growth mindset.
Why Does Your Organization Require Leadership Coaching?
Leadership coaching helps your organization and its leaders to realize their utmost potential. Leadership coaching programs open ways for leaders to experience self-awareness and explore the path to transformational change.
A certified leadership coach creates powerful leaders for an organization that in return boosts productivity and takes you towards success. Executive leadership coaching enhances problem-solving skills and creative thinking abilities that keep your clients and employees both happy.
The right leader can provide the right solutions to everyone and overcome problems with a positive attitude. This leads to better customer and employee retention rates.
How Does Leadership Coaching Work?
A leadership coaching course often lasts for 6 to 8 months, which includes about six one-on-one mentoring sessions. However, the duration of these sessions can be customized to fit your requirements.
- Goal Setting Session: In the first session, the certified leadership coach and the coachee discuss their vision. They focus on gaining clarity on coachee’s expectations and set SMART goals. Further, mind mapping is done to understand how the leadership program will help in achieving desired goals in a specific time.
- One-on-one Personal Sessions: Next, according to the mapping of goals, one-on-one sessions start with the coach. In these sessions, different fun and interactive coaching modules are used to help the leader achieve desired goals.
- Mid-Review Sessions: After a few sessions, the leadership coach conducts a mid-review session. In this session, the coachee’s progress is measured and the impact of the program so far is evaluated. Based on the results, key areas for improvements are identified and further sessions are planned.
- Revised Personal Sessions: Now starts the second phase of the leadership coaching program with a more goal-oriented approach. In the next leadership development coaching sessions, coachee is prepared to build a mindset that stays with them.
- Final Review Session: In the final review session of leadership mentoring, the impact will be evaluated. The coachee will be asked to share his/her experience and learnings, and how they want to apply them practically in their teams and business.
Leadership Coaching: Fact vs. Fiction
A lot of people believe that leadership coaching programs act as magic that can skyrocket your business. Well, that’s not true, becoming a great leader requires time and consistent effort.
Let’s burst some other fictional beliefs with facts about leadership coaching.
Fiction #1: Leadership mentoring teaches a specific technique or style
Fact #1: Executive leadership coaching does not teach you a specific technique or style that you can copy. Rather, leadership mentoring helps you identify and create your own techniques that will work the best for you. In a leadership coaching program, you learn to work on your strengths and weaknesses.
Fiction #2: Leaders are born, not made
Fact #2: Undoubtedly some people are born with leading personalities that people naturally follow. But that does not mean that leadership qualities cannot be taught. You can acquire leadership skills and become an influential leader with the right leadership coaching. By gaining self-awareness, working on your weak points, and rightly utilizing your strengths to the fullest, you can also become a leader.
Fiction #3: Leadership coaching is not meant for experienced professionals
Fact #3: There’s no end to learning, and similarly, there is no end to coaching as well. The same thing applies in business as well. An entrepreneur is always looking for his/her organizational and personal growth, and growth happens only when you learn. Learning helps you in gaining a new perspective and solving problems with a new-age approach.
Suggested Read: Best Books for Business Owners to be Successful
5 Benefits of the Leadership Coaching Program
Find out some of the prominent benefits of the leadership coaching program that can help leaders up their game and build a better, happy, and successful organization.
- Gain New Confidence
Leadership mentoring will help you boost your confidence and imbibe a new personality. It will help you in taking up new challenges and make you ready to try new things, adopt new approaches, and trust yourself.
- Have A Fresh Perspective
A certified executive coach enables you to see out of your own barriers and gain a fresh perspective on different scenarios. You also learn to cherish and respect other peoples’ opinion and consider them while making important decisions.
- Perform Better
A confident person who has developed a broader mindset is likely to perform better. An open mindset helps you to rightly introspect yourself and identify the areas that require your attention. This introspection helps you to work better and constantly improve performance.
- Empower Your Team
CEO coaching helps leaders to understand and connect better with their teams. This enables leaders to convey their vision and communicate effectively with their teams.
- Attain Life Satisfaction
Work-life balance is important for entrepreneurs as well. You love your work, but that is not just your complete life. In CEO coaching, leaders get to know themselves beyond their work and identify some other things that make them happy. This in return helps them gain holistic life satisfaction with their job satisfaction.
What Will You Learn in Leadership Coaching?
Listed below are some key takeaways for a leader from a leadership coaching program.
- Discover Your Unique Leadership Style
Understanding your own self empowers you to make better decisions for your team and organization. Theoretically, there are different styles of leadership in the books of business management that you can choose from, but that will not be real.
You can have a friendly, authoritarian, or a combination of both for leading your team. But the best approach is a flexible one. You need to make your style adaptable and dynamic to situations and team members.
- Find a Purpose
An entrepreneur starts a business with an idea that they believe in. But, with time their perspective expands, and they are able to see a larger purpose that their business can serve. Self-introspection enables them to see this larger picture.
For instance, a content marketing agency can have a larger purpose of becoming the voice of people and brands with their campaigns. They can choose to change stereotypes and hard-hitting conversations with their content.
- Learn Emotions Management
A business is not just about numbers, profits, and technologies, but it is also about people. With people comes emotions, feelings, and belongingness. An entrepreneur is trained to take rational decisions based on facts.
But with leadership coaching, you learn to make decisions beyond numbers, considering people who work for you. Emotions management ensures that you treat your employees with respect and generate a feeling of belongingness in them.
- Develop A Growth Mindset
With CEO coaching, you can develop a growth mindset. Leaders will be able to change their fixed mindsets and see challenges as opportunities. This will enhance your problem-solving abilities and push you to create unique solutions.
In addition to this, a leader with a growth mindset takes criticism and feedback with an open mind. This makes your team feel free to reach out to you, ask questions, and give their opinions, rather than just agreeing to your ideas.
- Channelize Strengths & Weaknesses
Even the most successful people in this world have weaknesses. The key is not to ignore or deny them, but to accept and channel them in the right direction. A certified leadership coach guides you to learn this technique.
In the leadership development coaching program, you will learn to further use your strengths to the fullest and gain maximum profit. On the other hand, you will also identify your weaknesses and focus to overcome and refrain them from becoming a hurdle in your success.
Suggested Read: Best Free Reading Apps for E-Books
How to Select the Right Leadership Coaching Program?
Multiple institutes and personal certified leadership coaching services are available in the market that make their own promises. But whom should you trust?
Well, we have got a checklist that can help you in selecting the right leadership coaching program for yourself.
- A place that provides supportive and safe environments that allows you to be your true self
- A program that supports and understands your goals
- Provides specific and constructive criticism and feedback
- Combines learning with engagement
- Helps you in keeping a consistent approach and making a positive lifestyle change
- Tries new and dynamic approaches and exercises
- Helps you grow as an individual and a team player
6 Must-Have Books for Leaders of All Time to Read
Along with enrolling yourself in a leadership coaching program, you can indulge in self-preparation with some must-have books especially written for leaders.
- Emotional Intelligence: Why it Can Matter More than IQ – Written by Daniel Goleman
- The Truth About Employee Engagement – Written by Patrick Lencioni
- The 11 Laws of Likability – Written by Michelle Tillis Lederman
- The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People – Written by Stephen Covey
- The Art of Possibility – Written by Rosamund Stone Zander & Benjamin Zander
- Five Dysfunctions of a Team – Written by Patrick Lencioni
- What's the best example of leadership coaching?
The best example of leadership coaching is a leader with a goal-oriented approach. Leadership coaching enables leaders to have clarity and be determined to their goals.
- What are the key principles of leadership coaching?
The key principles of leadership coaching are listening, building trust, identifying the true potential, committing to goals, and executing.
- Who is a leadership development coach?
A leadership development coach is a professional coach that helps their clients to achieve personal and professional goals through mentoring and exercising different modules.
- When Do You Need Leadership Coaching?
Even after having expertise in your technical area when feeling the need to expand or increase your horizons to have a larger purpose you should take a leadership coaching program. It will help you realize your own potential and become a better version of yourself.