Business process management software provides an integrated suite to help businesses make their daily operational processes adaptable, efficient and reliable. The software prevents the possibility of errors and miscommunication of every kind. It’s an advanced system which organizations use to not only manage workflows but also monitor them and see how they can be improved.
BPM software helps businesses manage and execute complex operational processes and workflows to improve the overall performance.
List of 20 Best Free & Open Source BPM Software 2020
- Red Hat Process Automation Manager
- Alfresco Process Services
- jSonic BPM
- Bonitasoft BPM
- Adobe LiveCycle
- ARIS Express
- ARCWAY Cockpit
- SYDLE SEED
BPM software provides all basic features to optimize business processes. It uses workflow and collaboration to help teams optimize on all important business metrics.
You can set a noteworthy business process management example by adopting any of these best free business process management software tools:
Red Hat Process Automation Manager
Previously known as Red Hat JBoss BPM Suite, Red Hat Process Automation Manager helps businesses create cloud-based automated automation applications and microservices. It enables business users to document, manage, automate and monitor business processes and decisions. Red Hat Process Automation Manager has been designed to empower business users to collaborate easily, so business applications’ modification can occur quickly.
Some of Red Hat main features include: -
- Business Modelling- The software helps businesses model workflows and policies
- Cloud-Native Development- Red Hat Process Automation Manager has been developed on the cloud, for cloud-powered businesses.
- Powerful Rules Engine- This BPM software helps you utilize the full potential of Drools, a widely used & highly capable open source rules engine.
- Resource Optimization- BPM helps businesses solve complex optimisation issues with its built-in solver.
Alfresco Process Services
Alfresco Business Process Management Services is a business process management (BPM) software, developed for enterprise use & developers. It’s a high performing open-source solution which provides flexibility and scalability to manage different critical processes. Alfresco provides a powerful suite which integrates with a range of enterprise solutions and makes it easy to create, deploy and monitor critical business processes.
The features of Alfresco include: -
- Ease of developing & deploying business applications
- Powerful case & task management
- Easy integration capability with different applications deployed in an enterprise
- Address process compliance easily
Modelio open source bpm modelling solution is best designed for companies deploying IT teams and coding specialists. The software supports html, uml, script language and bpmn for proving high-end solutions to professionals like system architects, developers, executives, analysts and more.
Using Modelio, users can configure their own modules to suit their needs while the software adapts to the way you customise it. Modelio is highly flexible & scalable and comes with a wide range of pre-programmed modules such as WSDL Designer, Java Designer, Togaf Architect, and UML Testing profile. Users can add model extensions and other additions, to address their business process management requirements.
Some of the key features of Modelio are:
- Multiple Platform Integration: It supports UML2 Profiles for XSD, WSDL, and BPEL.
- Service Modelling: It supports SoaML for service modelling in distributed environments.
- BPMN: It uses BPMN for business process modelling.
Camunda is an open source workflow and decision automation platform which helps stakeholders & developers collaborate to achieve business goals. Camunda BPMN 2.0 is extremely scalable, with the capability to adapt to the needs of SMEs, MSMEs & large-scale enterprises. With Camunda BPMN, businesses can easily model & create BPMN workflows, as well as DMN decision tables.
Some of the main features of Camunda BPM software include: -
- BPMN Workflow Engine: Camunda can be used as a remote REST service or embedded into your Java application.
- DMN Decision Engine: The BPML software can execute business-driven decision tables and is pre-integrated with your workflow engine.
- Modeler: Camunda Modeler is easy-to-use & helps in editing BPMN process diagrams and DMN decision tables.
- Cockpit: Camunda Cockpit helps admins, developers & business executives monitor workflows to discover, analyse and solve problems.
RunaWFE is an open source business process management system which is delivered under the LGPL licence. RunaWFE comes with a web interface that can be easily integrated with regional databases. It can also be integrated with Alfresco BPM software and provides support for Windows, Linux, Solaris and FreeBSD operational systems.
RunaWFE’s main features include: -
- Interactive UI: It provides a convenient and intuitive user web-interface
- Graphical business process designer: With the help of its graphical business process designer, users can easily represent business processes in graphs
- Use of automated bots: One of its unique features is that the software uses bots for automated execution of tasks
jBPM is a toolkit for building business applications to help automate business processes and decisions. jBPM provides various capabilities which simplifie business logic into reusable assets such as processes, cases, decision tables etc.
jBPM can be deployed as a standalone service or embedded as a custom service. It can be successfully used in traditional JEE applications, SpringBoot or Thorntail & standalone java programs.
The key features of jBPM include:
- Eclipse and web-based editor: It offers eclipse and web-based editor to support model creation of your business processes.
- Pluggable transactions: It comes with pluggable transactions based on JPA / JTA.
- Interactive management Console: Management console which supports process instance management, task form management, task lists and reporting.
Activiti open source business automation software helps businesses solve enterprise level automation challenges in a distributed, highly-scalable and cost-effective manner. Activiti is the new generation of business automation platform which offers a set of cloud-native blocks, designed to run on distributed infrastructures.
The important features of Activiti include: -
- Runtime Bundle- Immutable & scalable process runtimes designed to integrate with an enterprise’s native cloud system.
- Audit Service- Storage independent and extendable audit service for workflows.
- Query Service- Scalable query service for easy collaboration.
- Cloud Connectors- Easy system to system interaction which can be easily scaled up/down in distributed environments.
Joget is an open-source web-based BPM software used by businesses to develop workflow and business process management applications. Joget is a rapid application development platform which comes with full-fledged agile development capabilities. This consists of processes, CRUD, forms, lists and UI & not just back-end integration. Joget can be implemented using Java Spring Framework and deployed on Apache Tomcat server.
Joget offers the following benefits to users: -
- Build Apps- Joget BPM software allows users to create full-fledged process applications
- Web-Based UI- Customisable App Centre with integrated Joget Marketplace
- Web-Based Console- For administrators and designers
- Multi-Language Support- Supports multiple languages.
jSonic BPM software allows businesses to align their business operations with market conditions, abide by statutory compliance & customer requirement. It’s a highly effective & comprehensive solution which helps organisations increase process efficiency, optimise asset utilisation & successfully automate & manage workflow.
The important features of this software are: -
- Process Management- jSonic allows enterprises to manage the complete development of business processes ranging from design to testing.
- Workflow Management- jSonic’s workflow management module lets businesses automate and execute processes modelled using the process modeler.
- Interface Designer- jSonic offers a variety of UI components like checkboxes, drop downs, & text fields, which can be used to create modules, applications and processes.
- Reporting- jSonic can auto-generate reports on process analysis in various formats.
Bonita BPM is an open source business process management software which helps businesses create a seamless and personalized user experience in enterprise grade applications. With Bonita BPML tool, businesses can create, run, monitor and, improve business processes. The software helps businesses stay connected to their data and make it accessible across the organisation, to create engaging end-to-end user experiences. Bonita BPM is best used to manage diverse projects for companies with complex workflows.
Some main features of Bonitasoft BPM are:
- Continuous Delivery: It provides an add-on that can be integrated with other technologies such as Amazon AWS
- UI Designer: One of its main features, it has an intuitive UI designer that allows user interface developers to combine graphical tools and frameworks, for customised UI.
is an open source workflow software that helps process and capture data. In addition, it
also helps users to manage the information with the help of simplistic forms.
One of its best features is that it can be used to customise communication with
the help of its cloud-based services which helps users to access the
information remotely, from any device.
It also helps users to monitor and safekeep classified information and ensures that only the authorised parties can access the data.
Some main features of Adobe LiveCycle are:
- Cost Effectiveness: The software helps reduce costs by automating various different business processes.
- Enables Form Creation: With the software users can create formsand data capture interfaces.
- Offers Website Publishing: Publish forms on website.
- It is Portable: Users can easily manage their business processes from any place on their smartphones, laptops or tablets.
ARIS Express is a free BPM software that is apt for start-ups and small businesses. It has an interactive UI which enhances productivity and provides continual assistance in the different processes.
The software also provides a number of frameworks, and tools along with free tutorials available in the ARIS Community. Additional features especially for BPM start-ups, along with standard modelling features, are also offered by ARIS Express.
Some prominent features of ARIS Express BPM Software are:
- Responsive UI: It provides an intuitive and responsive user interface
- Easy Tracking and Monitoring: Managers can seamlessly track and monitors tasks and business processes with the help of its tools
- Framework Templates: It provides various template for simplifying the business processes
Bizagi is a free and single user open source workflow management software which provides assistance in the creation, optimisation and publishing of the workflow architecture. It helps in making users more efficient and keep a track of business processes in an organisation. Bizagi provides a convenient cloud-based platform integration, via its drag-and-drop tools. Bridging the gap between the business and technology, it provides a platform for process engagement between members.
Key features of Bizagi Workflow Management Software:
- Portability: Being cloud based, it can be accessed from anywhere with the help of mobile devices.
- Real-Time Feedback: Bizagi helps in providing real-time feedback and updates with its cloud-based deployment system
- Compliance: Itspre-setprocess models, help in improving compliance in the processes.
ProcessMaker Workflow BPM is one of the top open-source BPM software solutions that helps in creating a navigable framework of business processes. It is cloud-based and can be accessed from all popular devices and browsers. The best think is that it can be used by businesses of all the sizes and requirements
Its state-of-the-art tools make it a convenient modelling solution and also helps in creating ease-to-use forms. This makes it easy to monitor and communicate with other members seamlessly.
Key features of ProcessMaker BPM software are:
- Easy integration: This open source bpml tool can be integrated with other applications such as ERP, business intelligence, CRM and document management.
- Portability: It is available on iOS and Android, making it even more lightweight and efficient.
- Web-Based: ProcessMaker is web-based and accessible via any web browser.
Orchestra is an open-source BPM software that helps in the management of long-term processes. As its name suggests, the software helps in orchestrating businesses processes for synchronisation. It enhances efficiency, agility and provides better control over processes.
Important features of Orchestra BPM software are:
- Efficiency and Adaptability: It can be customised to the user’s requirements,
- Seamless Integration: Features such as management, JMX-based Administration API and restart capabilities can be seamlessly integrated.
Cubetto is one of the most efficient BPM software application which helps in charting out mind maps, business and project models and flowcharts, to name a few. The software has an interactive user interface and it also provides templates and formats to employ in modelling. One of its best features is that all the processes can be accessed, monitored and shared with teams seamlessly.
Some of the major features of Cubetto Software are:
- Attractive UI: Its user-interface is easy to use as well as aesthetically pleasing
- Multiple Graphic Templates: It comes with an abundance of pre-set templates
- Mind Maps: It provides mind-maps for brainstorming projects
ARCWAY Cockpit is a BPM software that has graphical modelling tool that helps users to integrate it into different business frameworks process chains and data models. It is open source and is apt for business process-related documentation and the merging of business process with IT. It also lets users assimilate the sketched plans in their documents.
Key features of ARCWAY Cockpit BPM software are:
- Easy Integration: Users can integrate Word or HTML documents with their plans seamlessly.
- Interactive UI: Users can seamlessly navigate the company or project overview with just a few clicks.
Sydle BPM is a comprehensive open source workflow software that assists in the collaboration efficient planning of project or business models. It enables users to edit the processes and work together to create processes with the help of BPMN notation. Since it is cloud-based, it remains enables users to work for the documentation of different processes with the help of its online portal.
Key features of Sydle BPM software are:
- Automated Form Generation: It saves time with the help of automation with which forms can be generated automatically
- Security and Privacy: Hierarchical authorisation levels can be implemented for users According to their designation.
Visio is a one-stop BPM solution which simplifies and helps users to convey large or intricate information with the help of visual medium such as charts and diagrams, seamlessly. With the help of diagrams that are data-linked users can communicate important information to the other members in just a few clicks with the help of this business process modelling software.
Key features of Visio BPM software are:
- Graphical Charts: It provides a multitude of different option such as flowcharts, network maps, organisational chart, and floor plans.
- Interactive UI: It has an easy-to-use and interactive user interface
Lucidchart is an intuitive BPM platform that provides tools to users and organisations for collaborative diagramming of projects and processes. One of its best aspects is that it is cost-effective and centres its features on maintaining quality. Lucid provides multiple process management solutions that help in making collaborative decisions easier.
Key features of Lucidchart BPM software are:
- Simple and Intuitive UI: Lucidchart provides an easy-to-use interface that makes it convenient for to configure permissions and auto-provision new accounts.
- Easy Account Management: It enables administrators to put all users on a single master account to simplify management od processes and documents.
- Secure Limit Sharing: It offers limit sharing option and additionally requires SSO authentication which provides a relief to admins in terms of security.
Importance of BPM Software for Growing Businesses
A well-designed and cost-effective BPM software is necessary for businesses because it helps them manage the organisational performance. With the help of BPM tools, managers measure, monitor and execute different business processes. The software makes designing, analysing, implementation and operations of business processes easier.
A good business process management software also assists in the coordination of members in different projects. It helps in the augmentation of employee productivity. The solution helps in minimisation of manual tasks which helps the teams to do more work in less time.
By integrating a good BPM software for your business, you can ensure quick completion of tasks, and work in addressal and combating of challenges which boosts the overall growth of the business.
How BPM Software Works (BPM Tools, Features, & Modules)
BPM Software starts with sketching out the process into an electronic workflow diagram (EWD). After the process has been completely charted out, users need to test their workflows inside a virtual setting, by implementing different forecasts and assumptions to find out the net cost and period of the entire process.
The test environment provides the option to customise the workflow to single out and remove any bottlenecks confronted to improve the overall process. Once the process is tested and worked upon, it is then deployed.
Once it goes live, users can monitor it to determine the execution. There are various tools that are employed for the whole process. Here are some of the modules and features that a good BPM Software solution provides:
and Form Creation
One of the most crucial features that a good BPM Software requires is an intuitive modelling interface. This graphical modelling interface empowers users to create and execute their individual processes without coding. Additionally, the graphical model provides BPM tools for capturing and projecting the workflow for better coordination between members.
Enterprise Architecture Modelling
Enterprise architecture modelling helps users to implement the BPM solution for modelling end-to-end value-chain processes, across tasks, projects, departments and entire businesses. With the help of this module, users can get a macroscopic perspective of operations for the optimum planning of the business architecture.
Businesses are gradually understanding the importance of social collaboration. BPM Software provides a big platform for social collaboration between members in the form of model sharing, discussions, modifications and approvals.
With the help of
an intuitive and interactive user interface, an ideal BPM Software should be
integrated in such a manner that it can manage all the business processes to
create a systematic knowledge-base and execution module.
A standard BPM workflow software provides the option of mobility. With customisable dashboards and intuitive interface which helps in convenient navigating individual workforce environments can be seamlessly set up that can be access on devices such as mobile phones and other portable devices.
5. Choice of On-Premises or Cloud Deployment
Today, all businesses are opting for cloud-based deployment for their business processes and the same applies for BPM solutions. With the help of cloud-based deployment costs can be reduced, and other things such as bug fixes and upgrades can be automated.
data security in mind, some businesses choose on-premises. Hence, a
well-designed BPM solution should provide both cloud and on-premises deployment
as well as the ability to shift to one from the other.
6. Key Performance Indicators
The key performance indicators (KPIs) and business monitoring a company might be unique, but an ideal BPM workflow software should be able to understand and integrate them accordingly. A modern BPM system should have real-time intuitive monitoring of processes along with KPI execution.
7. Data Management
The modern-day businesses need to manage and store clusters of data, in the form of documents. Efficient data management is one of the biggest challenges many businesses face.
Therefore, an ideal solution should offer the appropriate BPM tools with inbuilt data management capabilities, so that it becomes convenient to combat challenges such as security and retrieval of data.
Benefits of Business Process Management Software
BPM software enables businesses adopt the digital infrastructure and assist each stage of business process by augmenting efficiency, refining service and boosting innovation. However, a well-designed BPM system can do much more. Here are a few benefits of BPM software:
- Risk Mitigation
BPM workflow solutions have BPM tools to help businesses in creating a transparent business environment. In addition, it also provides intuitive insights for managing incompliance, risks and errors in processes.
This benefits organisations to increase their efficiency without spending time and resources in checking for errors manually. Since the software completely automates these processes, the tasks are executed seamlessly and is standardised.
- Enhanced Operation Control
It is crucial to hold reins over entire business processes in a macroscopic manner while also keeping things between users and members in check by constantly monitoring the tasks.
BPM software provides business real-time and live access to data with the help of dashboards and charts for proper monitoring and execution of processes.
- Improved Business Collaboration
When multiple processes are being conducted simultaneously, collaboration between teams and members is crucial for overall performance and productivity. With the help of BMP tools such as messengers, notifications and file-sharing users can communicate easily.
This ensures relevant and real-time information sharing between teams and members so that there is a scope of changes being made and implemented. Did you like our list, or did we miss out on an important free BPM? Conversely, if you’ve used any of these products, what did you think about it? Did it address your requirement & solve your problems? Let us know below.