Things seem more approachable when it appeals to your eyes. Visual representation of data is preferred all around the world, not just because it looks good, but it is also easier to interpret. Geographic information system is one such application that does so. GIS software helps users analyse and interpret intellectual geographical data to solve problems related to current trends, existing patterns and building relationships.
What is GIS Software?
GIS software analyses and interprets geographical data to solve problems related to popular trends and patterns. It also builds relevant relationships based on different geographical factors. GIS software for MAC and windows, both are available. You don’t have to worry about how to use GIS software as it is very easy to use. The most popular GIS software are available here.
In short, GIS software can store and visualise geographic information in a map. It collects geographical data from maps to assess real-world problems.
From storing new locations to predicting climate changes, GIS software helps you connect data with geography and vice-versa. Viewing and interpreting raw data like latitude and longitude coordinates can be difficult if done with an excel sheet. But with GIS software, you can visualise it in the form of informative pictorial representations. It also displays different kinds of data on one map, facilitating deep analysis.
List of Top 5 GIS Software for Analysing Geographic Data
- Geosoft Target
- ArcGIS Software
- GM-SYS Modelling
There are different types of GIS mapping software applications present in the market that can help you analyse your geographical data. Create, manage, analyse and display your data on the map with the help of these best GIS software available in the market:
Surfer Software is a geographic information system that visualizes and creates enhanced maps and models with various options for customization. This geographic information system can re-define your maps and models with the finest details. Surfer is packed with an advanced LiDAR feature. LiDAR is one of the advanced data collection methods used in fields like GIS, archaeology, and surveying.
- Model data in multi-dimensions: View your data in three dimensional space with Surfer’s 3D viewer. You can model and analyse all aspects of your data by switching between its 2D and 3D perspectives. This can help you ensure that you cover all of your data’s pattern.
- LiDAR Point Clouds: LiDAR is a data collection method used for processing and visualizing data by creating point cloud from multiple LAS/LAZ files. You can assign colour schemes by colour intensity, elevation, and return number. Importing data like Nth point, return type, classification value and specified source ID.
- Streamlined workflows: Surfer’s user interface is designed to make things easier. With the content window, you can easily manage layers of maps and models. You will get a single window to view, and edit the data and maps. There is also a worksheet window to view or edit raw data.
- Enhanced Maps & Models: Visualize and model all types of data with Surfer’s extensive customization options which allow you to simplify complex data to an easy format. Enhance your maps with its various customizations options. You can add legends, cross sections, scale bars, multiple axes and magnifiers. Even add text, polygons, symbols, and polylines with this GIS map software.
- Meaningful Decisions: With Surfer’s geoprocessing tools, you can process your data and analyze data relationships. You can highlight major intersections, perform mathematical calculations, calculate attribute values, Perform Delaunay triangulation and create/modify polylines, polygons, and grids.
With Strater online GIS software, you can achieve insights and clarity by transforming raw data into easy to understand well logs and borehole models. You will be able to create high quality geotechnical reports that communicate vital information. With Strater, you can view and analyze hidden areas and make well-informed decisions.
- Professional Well Logs and Borehole Models: With Strater, you can discover new insights about your data. By achieving a better understanding of your data, you will be able to make informed decisions.
- Clear Subsurface Data: You have the ability to easily create cross sections from line or symbols, zone bar logs, or raster logs to understand the details of your data in a better way. And as known, maximized understanding makes your decisions better.
- Enhanced Geological Model: You have the ability to represent your data in the best possible way. With the variety of customization options in its logs, models, and cross sections, you can include titles, scale bars and axes. Draw text, polylines, polygons, symbols, and spline polylines and create standardized templates to create consistent reports.
- Top-Down View: You can create top-down maps to view the information of well log and borehole inside the software. Use schemes to quickly apply symbol, fill, and other line properties. Also, save them for future to be used in multiple projects. Options to add boundary information and image base maps are also available.
- Easy Collaboration: Share your well logs and borehole models with team members and clients. The maps and models that you build are ready for printing in high quality formats like PDF or TIFF. Also, you will be able to insert diagrams into presentation tools like Microsoft Word or PowerPoint with just copy and paste.
3. Geosoft Target
With Geosoft Target, you can create insightful data and great geological models to enhance your decision-making ability. This software will help you get intuitive geological modelling and analysis through multi-disciplinary geoscience.
- Easy import and organization: The import wizard and the huge Geosoft database will help you import and organise all your project data. You will be able to work with more than 50 supported data formats including GIS, CAD, mine planning and modelling.
- Conduct Ongoing QA and QC: You can perform QA and QC by processing large volume of data, validating them, indentifying the discrepancies and correcting them. Also, calculate average values in composite database and significant intersections.
- Surface Mapping Integration: To improve subsurface integration, you can create maps using various methodologies like geology, geochemistry, geophysics, and GIS data. You can create grids, add different contours, and remote sensing data. With built-in ESRI integration, it is possible to work across different GIS environments.
- Geological modelling: You can view your data in both 2D and 3D. Also, building 3D geological models with its easy-to-use wire framing interface. With your drill hole data, you can create 3D voxel block models and isosurfaces as well. There is also an option to calculate volume and grade estimates based on geological models.
- Quality Analysis: An advanced geochemical analysis is included in this GIS system software which helps in effectively importing and analyzing your data. By using summary statistics, histograms, principle component analysis and probability analysis, you can conduct geochemical analysis effectively.
The ArcGIS software is a part of Esri Geospatial Cloud, which enables you to connect data and locations using interactive maps. With intuitive analysis tool, location intelligence is achieved accurately.
- Make maps and share them: Create maps instantaneously by the data in your spreadsheet using ArcGIS online. Make them visually attractive by applying smart mapping styles. You can also share your maps with your fellow team members.
- Data analysis: The intuitive analysis tool helps you get insights about your data. Combine Esri’s demographic to add concrete value to your data.
- Developer tools: Special developer tools are available through APIs and SDKs so the developers can use these in maps and analysis. They can also develop custom apps using these developer tools.
- Field operation: With this GIS software, you can connect field operations with office operations by creating maps and apps for those in the field. You can take offline, and sync automatically when connected to the internet.
- Advanced workflows: You can create and edit 2D and 3D maps that has custom base maps and precise labelling. You are given the option of automating data manipulation workflows in your system as well.
5. GM-SYS Modelling
GM-SYS Modelling software is ideal for gravity and magnetic modelling. It also supports creation of advanced interpretations with seismic, well, and structural data. GM-SYS modelling can effectively model complex subsurface structures.
- Data Integration: View data with different range of density and susceptibility. Visualize model gravity and magnetic data using response curves, surface data, and LAS well files.
- Profile modelling: GM-SYS profile modelling is a feature in 2D modelling workflow. You can create a geologic model of the subsurface and compare their gravity and magnetic responses as well.
- 3D modelling: With GM-SYS 3D, explorers can build layered 3D models that accurately depict the variation and irregularity of subsurface structures and calculate the models’ gravity and magnetic responses.
- Supports Graphics Formats: It supports various graphics formats. You can export vectorpostscript drivers to Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw, DGM, DXF and Geosoft plot files.
- Forward Gravity Calculation for Draped Surveys: This GIS software application implements a new gravity calculation method to provide accurate results. This method can be used on draped surveys without upward continuation.
These are the top GIS software available in the market. You can select any of these different types for there various GIS software uses. You can check out other software applications available for GIS. If you know about any other software, let us know in the comments section below