What Is SAST software?
SAST or Static Application Security Testing is a software program that analyzes multiple data and source codes to identify any data or security vulnerabilities. It simply scans the whole application before the code compilation. It is generally known as white box testing software.
It enables developers to locate any coding vulnerabilities in the initial stage process to avoid any coding issues in the final stage of the application development. This helps them in resolving issues before the code is passed on to the next level of the software development life cycle (SDLC).
Static application security testing tools are an integral part of the software development space. They enable users to suspect coding vulnerabilities making the application susceptible to multiple cyber-attacks such as denial of service (DoS), private data leakage, and unauthorized changes to system behavior.
Why do you need SAST software?
Static application security testing helps the development team to resolve the following issues.
- Identifying source-code discrepancies before the final stage
- Make the necessary changes to the source code during development
- Find the exact location of the coding vulnerabilities. ‘
- Create customized reports of coding issues for future references.
- Avoiding sensitive data and information leakage
- Guidance to resolve the coding issues and security gaps
- Prevents data manipulation in the application
How Does Static Application Security Testing Work?
SAST takes place in the early stage of software development even when the application has not been completed. These tools help developers to detect any coding flaws initially to prevent the occurrence of data-security issues in the future within the application.
The SAST static application security testing works by using a static code analyzer to analyze the source code. When SAST tools analyze a program, it looks for any coding flaws within the application like programming issues, unsensitized input processing, poor constructs, buffer overflows, SQL injection, cross-site scripting, etc.
SAST software also provides the graphical representation of the codes to easily locate the coding malfunction and the guidance to improve the coding errors.
Key Features of Static Application Security Testing Software
Here are some of the major features of SAST tools
- Collaborative Coding: The collaborative coding feature of SAST program allows you to work on a specific project with a team of different coders. All the programmers can easily work on the same project in real-time. All users can see and track the changes made by other coders within a single platform.
- Static Code Analyzer: The static code analyzer feature of the software allows users to analyze source code simultaneously without running the program.
- Security Code: The security code feature is one of the most important features of the tool as it helps to keep the source code secure. Every time you want to see the coding changes, you can see it by entering a security code. These will help in keeping the application coding safe from any data breaches.
- Project Management: The SAST software allows you to manage all the operations within the development and testing process. It enables you to keep all the codes in one place. Moreover, it helps managers with project tables, boards, and task lists to work on any project.
- Integration: The software allows users to integrate the existing project with the existing IDEs, repos, and workflows to work easily.
- Compliance and Regulations: The SAST security software makes sure that the applications are compliant with all the security regulations. It checks the application for any type of compliance gaps like HIPAA, PCI, GDPR, OWASP, CCPA, and VPPA.
What are the Types of SAST?
There are three different types of SAST testing to analyze the source codes of the applications as enumerated below.
- Source Code Analysis: It could be defined as the type of SAST testing that analyzes the source code to debug an application or program before it gets completed or sold in the market.
- Bytecode Analysis: It is a type of testing that analyzes all the classes of an application that need to be tested and stores the analyzed data in a class database. Developers can also restrict the set of classes that need to be analyzed within the bytecode analysis.
- Raw Binary Code Analysis: This type of SAST is also known as binary analysis. It performs threat assessment and code vulnerability review at a binary code level. This type of testing is helpful especially when you do not have access to the source code.
Benefits of SAST Software
There are multiple benefits of using the SAST software for users and some of the benefits are enumerated below:
- Automated Coding Issues Detection: The SAST tools continuously examine the application for any type of coding vulnerabilities, defects, or compliance issues within the source code of the application. It saves a lot of time for both development and testing teams.
- Early Issues Detection: When any type of coding issue is not identified and resolved at an initial stage, it might hamper the performance of the software in the future. Therefore, static application security testing tools allow the developers and programmers to detect any coding issue at the earliest and solutions to save time and any other potential loss.
- Root Cause Analysis: Locating the exact cause of the coding vulnerability within the application’s source code could become tiresome for the users. However, with the in-depth analysis provided by SAST tools, the developers can easily detect the main cause and exact point of the coding vulnerability.
Easily Integrated with Development Tools: SAST applications can be integrated with the existing development tools. The integration helps the developers to work on the coding and check for any inconsistencies with much ease.
How to Find the Right SAST Software?
Any business that wants to buy the right SAST software for their business should consider the following factors.
- The software you are planning to purchase should support multiple programming languages.
- It should be able to integrate with other systems such as developer tools.
- Do check all the essential features of the SAST tool before investing in any of them.
- The software you want to purchase should comply with your budget and requirements.
- The software should have a user-friendly interface so the users can easily navigate within the application.