Food trucks have become quite a rage lately, all thanks to the evolving restaurant space. With time becoming a luxury for many, people are finding mobile restaurants at every nook and cranny as a God-send. Mobile food trucks have come a long way since hot dogs and ice creams to serve a gamut of gourmet dishes like cupcakes, sandwiches, waffles and regional cuisine.
India has made quite a late entrée into the food truck business, but nevertheless It has caught on. There’s a lot of potential in the food truck business, as people’s requirements are changing. It is providing a great eating out option beyond restaurants and fast food chains for city dwellers. Many food truck festivals are being organized in India, and are becoming a roaring hit. The excitement of food trucks in India doesn’t end here! Mumbaikars are quite likely to get a food truck park soon, and enjoy a wide range of culinary delights at one place.
Need Some Inspiration for the Food Truck Business?
If you are considering to start your own mobile food business, there are a lot of options. Some of the popular food truck themes that can inspire you are:
- Panini Sandwiches: The new generation of millennials are quite likely to line up at your food truck for quick lunch bites.
- Barbeque: Every celebration with friends and family calls for a hang-out at a barbeque food court. A barbeque food court is already a hit, and effortlessly grabs attention of food lovers who want to hog all they want, from grilled corns to grilled lobsters.
- Waffle: You can have different waffle options at your food truck – From Nutella waffle to mellow marshmallow waffle, banoffee blast, turtle sundae, and so on to satiate that sweet tooth.
The idea of offering regional cuisines at your food truck is also a great option, as people can never get over authentic local flavours!
So, Ready to Launch a Food Truck Business?
By serving faster, cheaper and healthier food, food trucks have found a new route to success in India. Though the risks involved in this business are relatively low, there are a few things to consider before starting the food truck business. Here’s what you need to know.
List of Things to Consider Before Starting A Truck Business
Let’s check for the things that are supposed to be on the mark.
Choosing the Right Commercial Vehicle
When you are ready to start a food truck business, selecting the right truck or commercial vehicle is the first step. A new food truck price in India, which is 18-feet long can cost you around Rs 7-8 Lakhs. Some of the popular food truck brands in the market are Tata, Mahindra & Mahindra and Ashok Leyland. However, if your budget is limited, you can go for an old commercial vehicle along with complete documentation that includes registration, road tax receipts, insurance paper and fitness papers.
Make sure, the food truck that you buy is not more than 5 years old. Considering the rising pollution threat, many states have already banned outdated commercial vehicles. You can get your own food truck or take it on rent if your food truck business plan is bootstrapped.
Deciding on the Food Truck Location
Whatever business you’re going for location is most important. The location for your food truck can play a major role in deciding the footfall. This will help you get people coming in large numbers at your food truck counter.
1. Reachability & Visibility: Don’t choose the location which is least visited. Check for the area with high footfall, such as around educational institutes, Parks, Commercial Spaces, Malls and Shopping Centres.
2. Check for Competitors: Choose a street where there are not many food outlets around. Offer the variety in menu so that you can attract customers looking for a great culinary experience.
Licenses Required to Kickstart Your Food Truck Idea
There are no defined laws for the food truck business in India. However, you need to procure the following set of documents to abide by all statutory compliances:
1. FSSAI Operating License: Food Business Operating License is the most important thing to get. The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India issues this license. It ensures the quality of your food is up to the authorised standards.
2. Fire Safety Certificate: This is also known as Conformity to the Requirements of Fire Safety. It is required to ensure that the food is prepared as per the rules of safety. The Fire Safety Certification process can take five days to one month to get processed.
3. NOC from RTO: As a food truck owner, you are required to get NOC from RTO so that you can carry your activity lawfully. Always keep your documents updated to avoid any hindrance.
4. Shop and Establishment License: This food truck license is a state-based registration, which is required when you’reat the time of establishing any commercial property. It is also issued by FSSAI and lasts for a year after to be further that can be renewed on yearly basis.
Shop Establishment Certificate in Delhi & Mumbai for Food Truck cost around 3000/-
In Other States this certificate for Food Truck costs at 5,500/-
5. NOC from Municipal Corporation: Mobile Food Vans in India also requires NOC from MCD or Municipal Corporation Department to ensure your the business location.
6. Kitchen Insurance: It protects prevents you from overpaying for any accidental injuries or mis- happenings.
All the Food Truck license prices range from 40,000 to 50,000.
Getting these licensing and permits is important to run your food truck business without any legal hassle. You can refer to seasoned consultants, who can help you in getting all required permits and licenses.
Tech Support for Your Food Truck
In today’s competitive environment, technology-enabled processes are important to make your food truck business shine. A good POS software is already being used by successful restaurant players to maintain customer data and manage repeat orders efficiently.
Choose from best leading POS Software in the market.
As the space acquired by Food Van is so small. Food Truck Owners must keep an eye on the basic hygiene manners, managing the waste or leftovers, pollution level.
If you live in Delhi/NCR, then you are very aware how our generation is looking for hygiene and health factors in everything. This also helps you to stand out amongst others.
Check for these factors to ensure health and hygiene factors:
1. Use of gloves and sanitizers
2. Clean furniture
3. Chimneys for air pollution
4. Place dustbins near food truck
5. Cut the plastic and use environment friendly cutleries
6. Keep the area clean
At the End, Sell Your Idea Smartly
To create the initial buzz around your food truck business, a strong social media presence is important. Popular social media marketing platforms can help you in keeping your prospects informed about your food truck location and special offers.
Further, by offering free goodies to customers at such events, you can build strong business contacts with your customers.
1. Brand Name: Figure out the brand name that serves justice to your Food Truck and the ambition attached with it. The Brand Name can be taken from where you have come, the menu you are serving.
2. Story: Everyone loves a good story and what great if it’s related to the food they’re enjoying. The story that lead you to make your dream come true. Take notes from Keventers, S.W.A.T., Curry Up Now.
3. Online Promotions: Digital advertisements can help you in building a robust brand connect and ensure a regular flow of customers at your food truck counter. You can start with going for best digital marketing software.
4. Offline Promotions: Additionally, you can leverage on tie-ups with event planners and ensure your participation in events and gatherings organized in your locality. Use pamphlets, paper or printed advertisements.
You can check for the Food Truck Festivals that are a trend now and register yourself. As it will increase the brand visibility and awareness.