The use of BIM modeling in the construction industry has increased over the years and there are multiple available BIM tools in the market. With BIM virtual reality, 4D imaging, and 3D modeling, BIM software has simplified the design process for building infrastructure. It assists engineers and contractors to improve design decisions, eliminate modeling inefficiencies, perform advanced simulations, and much more.
What is Building Information Modelling Software?
BIM software is a building information modeling software used to create, manage, and document designing work in engineering, architecture, construction, and other industries. The software gathers data and presents a real-life view of a building’s infrastructure before, during, and after construction.
It can be used to design, visualize, and simulate 3D designs for buildings. This software simulates various physical aspects of a building such as electrical components, plumbing fixtures, and ventilation effortlessly.
List of 11 Free Building Information Modelling Software
- Peeks Social
In this blog, we will look at some of the best free BIM software along with their pros and cons. This would help you to choose the right solution according to your BIM modeling requirements.
Here is the list of top BIM modeling software you can consider for your project-
It is a project review and designing software for AEC professionals. Navisworks enables users to identify clash detection, create 3D animated imagery, collaborate with stakeholders, etc. With 5D analysis and simulation, the software analyzes project details and shares it with your team.
- Supports NWD and 3D DWF files
- You can control project schedules
- Perform 4D and 5D simulation
- Helps perform preconstruction analysis
Infurnia software is used to incorporate Building Information Modeling (BIM) in 3D models, collaborate on projects, and manage all the project data easily. It lets you collaborate with stakeholders by sharing the file link.
Further, every changed design is saved as the new version, and you can go back to the previous version easily. It allows you to create your own custom design documentation library with Infurnia.
- Design version control
- Real-time pricing quote generation
- Design documentation Detailed project management
Suggested Read: How Internet of Things Is Transforming Construction Industry
AutoCAD is a CAD software for creating 2D and 3D designs and models. Its multiple features, such as blocks pallets, text settings, data linking, and model documentation help automate designing tasks. With this software, you can also insert geographical location info in your sketch and display map via an online map service.
- Easily export your data to other Autodesk products.
- It supports 3D mesh modeling
- Count geometrical blocks in your designs with Count command
- You can check the drawing history
Autodesk Revit is a BIM software that helps engineers to create high-quality buildings and infrastructure. It accelerates project delivery with built-in automation tools for design documentation. With the work sharing functionality, you can collaborate with your team and ensure the project is on time.
Autodesk Revit Features
- 3D massing
- Parametric components designing
- Project scheduling
ALLPLAN BIM solution caters to different industries such as architecture, structural engineering, MEP and civil engineering. It helps users with building and infrastructure designing, project collaboration, construction planning, design changes management, and more. ALLPLAN helps to manage the entire project cycle from conceptualization till its completion.
- Open BIM project collaboration
- Cost estimation
- 3D precast model
- Change management
Suggested Read: 10 Best Floor Plan Software for Real Estate Developers
Trimble Connect is a collaboration tool designed for AEC professionals. It helps them to stay connected with all the stakeholders during the pre, during and post project creation. With it, users can share 3D designs and documents, review the project design, define project steps, schedule projects, and more.
Trimble Connect Features
- Advanced user-permission management
- Unlimited storage space
- Real time project collaboration
- Project sequencing
SketchUp is a 3D modeling software to create intricate 3D models of any building’s infrastructure. It lets you create 2D presentations directly from your 3D models, create content with prebuilt 3D contents, customize the platform with various plugins, etc. Furthermore, you can use the library of render-ready photorealistic 3D objects to create 3D images.
- 3D visualization
- Design customization
- Texture rendering
- 2D documentation
Suggested Read: Best Free and Open Source Architectural CAD Software
Archicad is a 3D architectural design software. The software promotes project synchronization among members and engineers via real-time changes tracking. Further, you can use it to create non-photorealistic renderings, construction sequence animations, export the model to VR solution. It also lets you create documents of your model directly from Archicad.
- Algorithmic design tools
- Parametric custom profiles
- Built in Pro Surface textures
- Project collaboration tools
- Built-in MEP modeler
Civil 3D is a design and documentation software to create and manage design for civil infrastructure. It can be used for creating construction documents, pressure network designs, corridor modeling, etc. Moreover, with visual programming, you can create scripts to automate repetitive design tasks.
Civil 3D Features
- Site and survey workflows
- Terrain modelling
- Drainage design and analysis
- Geotechnical modelling
MicroStation CAD software is used to design, visualize, and document the infrastructure of any scale. With MicroStation, you can create 3D models, visualize and analyze models, automate repetitive tasks with ease. Further, it lets you manage and control permissions for all your 3D designing projects.
- Geospatially 2D and 3D design creation
- Project collaboration
- Workflow customization
- Reality mesh support
SolidWorks is a solid modeling CAD and computer-aided engineering (CAE) application. It can be used to create accurate 3D models and control their design revisions through data management tools. With stress analysis tools, SolidWorks allows you to find errors with the current model and rework on it as per your designing needs.
- 2D and 3D complex assembly designing
- Project cost estimation
- Real time project collaboration
- Finite element analysis (FEA)
Suggested Read: 15 Top 3D Modeling Software in 2022: Free and Paid
How Does BIM Software Work?
The BIM architecture software works in the following steps-
- Planning: Start the project planning by creating contextual models of the natural surroundings by capturing reality and using real-world data.
- Designing: The preconstruction procedure begins by creating conceptual design, analyzing it, detailing it, and creating documents.
- Building: You can start fabricating your project model. All the documents related to the project are shared with stakeholders, project managers, engineers, etc.
- Operating: Work with collaborators on the infrastructure design simultaneously and optimize.
Why Choose Free BIM Architecture Software?
There are several reasons to choose free BIM architecture software, such as-
- Improved Collaboration: BIM software comes with various collaboration tools to collaborate and work on the project in real-time. It helps in sharing design updates, reviewing models, detecting clashes in the designing models, perform simulation, and much more.
- Preconstruction Project Visualization: These solutions help in simulating and visualizing the entire project during its preconstruction phase. The space-use simulations and 3D visualizations help stakeholders and engineers to know what the building would look like post construction. It can also help in finding possible issues with the current 3D models.
- Detection of Project Errors: BIM software lets engineers detect any potential issues with the existing design project during the planning and design process. This eliminates design errors and improves the project.
- Safer Construction Sites: BIM solution detects and highlights all the hazards that may occur after the site is constructed through simulation and visual risk analysis. This helps to avoid any physical risks and ensure the building is safe post construction.
BIM technology has become popular for creating and designing a building’s infrastructure. It has made the designing and project collaboration much easier for engineers and stakeholders.
This web blog has provided a complete overview of top BIM modeling software available for BIM modeling and designing. If you want to incorporate BIM modeling in your 3D projects, you can choose a reliable BIM software after analyzing your designing needs and features.
- What is the most popular BIM software ?
There are multiple types of BIM software to work on your building’s project modeling. Some of the most popular ones include Revit, SketchUp, Autodesk BIM 360, ARCHICAD, Tekla BIMsight, and more.
- How to use BIM software?
You can start using BIM software by creating a 3D model for your project. After that, create conceptual design, analysis it, perform simulation, etc. Secondly, you can share this project with your team members for collaboration. Lastly, you can use it to work on your project data and make necessary changes to it.
- Who uses BIM software?
BIM software can be used by civil engineers, architects, mechanical engineers, structural engineers to create and manage the building’s infrastructure project.
- How does BIM software work?
BIM solution works by integrating structured and multi-disciplinary information to create a 3D representation of any building’s infrastructure. It starts from planning the design till its construction and completion.
- How much does BIM software cost?
The pricing of any BIM software would depend on the type of features it offers to its users. However, you can buy BIM software for as low as INR 800 per month.
- How do different BIM software interact ?
Different BIM design software interacts with other BIM software through integration. Most BIM software offers integration capability to easily migrate data among other software for better project collaboration.
- What is BIM software used for?
BIM software is used to develop 3D modeling designs, design projects collaboration in real-time, create photorealistic materials designs, and decide project’s cost.