Want to create elegant digital embroidery designs? Opt for the best Embroidery Software for digitizing your daily processes.
What is Embroidery Digitizing Technique?
As we all know, embroidery is the queen of fashion clothing since times immemorial. Since its introduced date back to the 5th century, embroidery has witnessed major developments. The most talked about development being digitization of embroidery. The blend of latest technology with beautiful handmade thread designs has greatly impacted fashion.
The technique of embroidery digitizing is about using embroidery software to turn artwork and stitches into embroidery. It is about create machine embroidery designs with the help of computer-based commands. An embroidery machine is connected with the embroidery software to stitch designs as per the command.
Nowadays, with embroidery digitizing technique, intricate designs and time-consuming patterns can be created quickly and accurately. This essentially means that designing now, is fun. It is no more a painstaking process – thanks to digitizing software.
What is Embroidery Software?
Embroidery software is used by embroiders and digitizers to fed patterns and designs into the sewing machine. It helps create an impeccable design patterns as per the given size and text style. You can also rotate and flip designs, and merge different designs.
Embroidery software allows adding objects, lines, letters and other embroidery designs from a vector drawing. Embroidery digitizing software makes it possible to cover all types of stitches starting from cross-stitches, hand-woven embroidery to machine designs.
How Can Paid & Free Embroidery Digitizing Software Help?
Embroidery software performs all important embroidery functions, such as, start and stop, color change and other unique functions. A majority of updated model sewing machines usually have versatile input file formats.
All types of artworks can be converted into stitch files with free photo embroidery digitizing software.
Embroidery digitising software supports vectoriser tools that convert vector drawings into embroidery designs. Simultaneously, you can convert embroidery designs into vector images. Vectoriser is important for professionals because it helps determine the stitch type and object type for each given shape.
Advanced auto-digitising mechanism helps professionals control important conversion settings required for recognising shapes in vector, bitmap and artwork. The same feature can be used for editing images, sizing as well as processing them.
You can count on embroidery software’s digitising capabilities for vector and raster images. Stitch representations generated by embroidery software helps professionals & converters get accurate design structures.
Converters as well as professionals who need optimised stitch fonts for their designs use the lettering feature. This feature helps develop some amazing embroidery designs in multi-lined or single embroidery texts. So next time you wish to add letter next to a design, use embroidery software’s lettering capabilities.
Different Embroidery Formats Supported by Embroidery Software
There are many embroidery formats based on the kind of machine being used. Here, we have listed some of the most popular embroidery formats supported by embroidery machines.
|Embroidery Machine||Embroidery Format Supported|
|Husqvarna / Viking||HUS. & VP3. & VIP|
|Brother / Babylock / Deco||PES / PEC|
|Pfaff||PCD / PCM / PCS|
|Melco / Bravo||EXP|
List of 10 Best Paid and Free Embroidery Digitizing Software
- my editor
- DRAWINGS PRO X
- BuzzEdit v3
- Embrilliance Essentials
- Wilcom Embroidery Studio e3
- Brother Embroidery Software
Since we are familiar with embroidery digitizing software now, let’s look some of the best paid and free embroidery software to look out for in 2021.
WingsXP has my editor as its free embroidery software. It is a viewing and editing software that is loaded with innovative features.
For those looking to make simple embroidery design changes, my editor software is just a click away. With the help of this software, you can easily view your designs with actual thread colors and make the required changes. You can also fit in any information in your designs.
Additionally, my editor free embroidery software includes extra browsing and saving capabilities. Not only this, it also includes tools to manage materials and improve production.
Digitizing software offers a complete package for doing single stitch and multi embroidery stitches. You can make use of the software’s Preview3D tool for more realistic designs.
Features of WingsXP my editor:
- Advanced stitch editor
- Design preview with different fabrics to be included
- Provides array tool to create beautiful designs
- You can also rotate and resize designs
- Automatic emailing of embroidery files
- Provides editing tools like Cut, Copy and Paste, Group, Ungroup
- Copy and paste functions to merge open designs
- You can figure out embroidery sequence of any designs
What All You Can Do with WingsXP my editor
- Embroidery process simulation
- Automated adjustment process for managing stitching density
- Embroidery design database tool available
- Application of horizontal, vertical, diagonal and circular guidelines
- Custom thread colour palettes
Price: It’s a free embroidery digitizing software.
Compatible OS: Windows XP (Service Pack 3 or later) or Vista, 7, 8.1, 10
DRAWings PRO X
DRAWings embroidery software that is apt for graphic designing, embroidery, and textile and screen printing. With impressive features and latest services, DRAWings embroidery tool makes crafting with cuts and stencils much easy. Computerized quilting and fabric painting are the other facilities it offers to the users.
You can use this embroidery digitizing software’s cutwork tool to draw the area you want to cut. Simply assign it to cutwork and let your embroidery machine process this information. Then, use four cutting needles and the instructions manual to convert the embroidery machine to cutting device.
To create your paper craftwork quickly, simply import an existing cut design, or create your own design. Then use from the many paint fill tools available to paint the areas you want. Once you export the specified areas to be cut, simply export it to your Cutter.
DRAWings embroidery digitizing software can also be used to cut and create applique designs.
Features of DRAWings PRO X:
- Its lettering tool includes pre-digitized fonts
- Envelope on text
- Cutwork tool that helps with cutting needles used in embroidery machines
- Multi-hooping support
- Allows rotating and moving the hoops
- You can view the rotating process
- The new knife cut tool helps split objects precisely
- Name drop ability
- Automatic button holes
- Thread palette search ability
- The advanced auto re-ordering system
What All You Can Do with DRAWings PRO X
- Colour matching with actual threads
- Automatic calculation of embroidery parameters that cover branching, compensation, underlay and thread trimming
- Receive real-time updates of artwork design and its stitch results
- Use the stitch window for direct shape editing
- Auto-stitch conversion for tracing vector artwork from bitmap image
- Possible to create true type fonts into text
Pricing: DRAWings PRO XI package is available at ₹ 1.56 Lacs.
Compatible OS: Windows 7, 8 or 10 & MacOS
BuzzEdit is a powerful embroidery software and stitch editor that helps customize and create embroideries. An all-inclusive software, BuzzEdit is essentially considered a tool for layout, basic digitizing and an auto-hooping.
What’s more? This embroidery software is a customizer and an automatic wreath and border creator. It’s apt for embroidery stitch editing, basic digitizing and customization. Simply add, delete or move stitches with BuzzEdit to enjoy embroidery stitching tool editing capabilities.
An interesting feature of BuzzEdit v3 is that it helps you easily create continuous borders which are accurately aligned. Additionally, you can change design colors, add new color breaks, or simply rotate and flip designs with this efficient software.
BuzzEdit users can easily get latest templates with details such as design name, improved graphics, cross hair options and much more.
Features of BuzzEdit v3:
- Powerful stitch editing facilities
- Helps with digitizing & auto-hooping
- It provides advanced layout functions
- There is the customizer facility
- Wreath and border can be created automatically
What All You Can Do with BuzzEdit v3
- Advanced digitising and stitching tools
- Applique function for creating position tack downs
- Continuous border wizard for giving borders accurate alignment
- Automatic wreath support for coordinating between label and wreath designs
- Thread palettes and hoops for automatic splitting
Price: BuzzFeed version three is available at ₹ 12,145 on online websites. You can conveniently try BuzzEdit as a free embroidery tool for 21 days to get an idea about how the software works.
Compatible OS: Vista, Microsoft Windows 10, 8, 7, XP
Embrilliance Essentials embroidery software is compatible with both USB flash drive and the floppy disk. You can use this software with even the older computers, which are compatible with embroidery machines.
As the name suggests, the embroidery digitizing software has its ‘essentials’ defined for every embroiderer. Let’s take a quick look at these. By using your PC or Mac, you can:
- Easily merge embroidery designs in almost all formats, even if these designs are in .ZIP files.
- Use stitch recalculation to resize any embroidery designs.
- In Multi-Line, Circle and Monogram modes, add lettering to your embroidery designs. If need be, you have the freedom to even make LARGE embroidered letters and spiral text.
- Get project advice regarding some difficult embroidery tasks as well as materials.
Embrilliance Essentials make it quite easy for embroiders to merge, resize, colourize and print designs. You can also remove stitches that are overlapping and add the lettering effect.
Features of Embrilliance Essentials:
- No limit to the number of installations on different systems
- Provides scalable embroidery fonts
- Three types of free design libraries
- You can resize embroidery designs
- It helps with stitch recalculation
- Allows colorizing of embroidery designs
What All You Can Do with Embrilliance Essentials
- Stitch recalculation tool for resizing designs
- Colour management through colour sequence charts
- Scalable applique frames
- Advanced alignment for simple centering
- Resequence all the designs for controlling sewing orders
Price: Embrilliance Essentials embroidery design software price starts at ₹ 9,875. You can use Embrilliance Essentials as a free embroidery software for a limited time as it offers free DEMO downloads as well as a free trail to use.
Compatible OS: Windows & Mac OS.
SewWhat-Pro embroidery software has superior integrated project management features, such as easily editable thread colors, manufacturer brands and editable table for entering project information.
Not only this, with the ability to easily read and write thread color “txt” files for different projects, this embroidery software climbs up the ladder to become one of the best embroidery software.
A plugin is available from myriaCross. This plugin essentially, converts cross-stitch files to embroidery files. For those of you who want free embroidery software, simply use SewWhat-Pro for free until the trial period expires.
Features of SewWhat-Pro:
- Graphic separation of patterns
- Helps resizing a pattern at constant density
- Allows writing compact flash cards for all types of machines
- Provides an editable table where you can enter project information
- You can read and write thread colour as ‘txt’ files for all types of embroidery projects
- Provides multiple thread palettes
- User-defined and customizable thread palettes
What All You Can Do with SewWhat-Pro
- Split pattern option for dividing a design into different parts
- Filter stitches support feature for deleting short stitches
- Possible to resize a pattern using density adjustment option
- Text based/graphical reordering of thread colour stops
- Easy to convert cross stitch patterns into embroidery files
Price: You will get SewWhat Pro embroidery software at around ₹19K. For those of you who want free embroidery software, simply use SewWhat-Pro for free until the trial period expires.
Compatible OS: All Windows OS, including VISTA and XP
Wilcom Embroidery Studio e3
Wilcom Embroidery Studio e3 is one of the most popular embroidery design software among professional digitizers and apparel decorators. This embroidery designing software helps with embroidery designing, decorating, editing and lettering.
You will get access to 200 plus professional embroidery fonts to create amazing embroidery designs quickly and accurately.
The update 6 of Wilcom Embroidery Studio e3 comes with many new features and also the usability issue has been fixed.
Features of Wilcom Embroidery Studio e3:
- Helps with all types of printing & cutting
- Provides engraving and decoration functions
- Diverse embroidery fonts
- Helps with bitmap graphics
- Ensure complete professional control
What All You Can Do with Wilcom Embroidery Studio e3
- Multi page layers, designs and page layouts.
- Design thumbnails that display settings every time you save a new design
- Solid font previews for previewing each letter
Price: The latest version of Wilcom Embroidery Studio e3 is e4.2 Designing. It is available at the price of around ₹ 9K per month.
Compatible OS: Windows 7 & Windows 8 operating systems.
Ink/Sketch Embroidery Software
Ink/Sketch Embroidery Software is an open-source, cross platform machine embroidery design platform based on the design tool Inkscape. This open source and free embroidery software can be used by both hobbyists and professional embroiders.
Choose the objects you want to apply embroidery properties. Then select the desired settings and make the necessary changes to create embroidery pattern. Once you get the necessary output, you can generate the stitch file.
There is support for several file formats. Writing includes CSV, DST, EXP, JEF, PEC, PES, SVG, and so on. Reading formats are DAT, DSB, PEC, PES, MAX, MIT, NEW, PCD, U01, VP3, XXX, among others.
Ink/Sketch open source and free embroidery digitizing software displays text in the user’s preferred language in dialogs (such as params), print / realistic preview, error messages, and the like. It supports several languages like English, Dutch, French, and more.
Unique Functionality: Ink/Sketch embroidery software works best with path objects. You can transform any object into a path object for best results.
Features of Ink/Sketch Embroidery Software
- Digitization of machine embroidery designs with Inkscape (SVG)
- User interface supports several languages
- Cross Platform with built-in code libraries
- Import and export machine embroidery formats in batches
- Add Trims and Stops
- Edit Stitch Order
- Set stitching origin point (0, 0) anywhere in the design file
- Animated stitch-out preview with live changes
- Line-drawing mode
- Print to PDF with thread names and catalog numbers
- 60+ Thread manufacturer Inkscape palettes
What All You Can Do with Ink/Sketch Embroidery Software
- Create stitch files from hand/ SVG drawings
- Thread color and project management
- Manual Stitch
- Fill Stitch with setting options and automatic filling of arbitrary shapes
- Satin Column for borders, letters, or small fill areas
- Custom design for Satin Stitch
- Continuous small stitches with Running Stitch
- Thicker threading with Bean Stitches
- Copy/paste fonts that other people make
- Digitize letters and other glyphs
- QR code embroidery
Price: Ink/Sketch a free and open source embroidery digitizing software.
Compatible OS: Linux, macOS, Windows
Brother Embroidery Software
BES 4 Embroidery Software from Brother allows users to design and edit monograms, border designs and lettering. After creating designs on a PC or tablet, you can transfer them wirelessly to an embroidery machine. It has a user-friendly interface which is easy to get started with. It can be used by any embroidery enthusiast, be it a beginner or a professional.
The software lets users switch stitch types, arrange and align designs, create unique design effects, and preview the garment templates. There are customization options with several editing features available on the go.
Unique Functionality: Besides its own embroidery machine, Brother Embroidery software can work with most popular brands of embroidery machine available in the market.
Features of Brother Embroidery Software
- 199 Pre-Digitized fonts for personalized embroidery
- 840+ Embroidery Designs
- Decorative or fun frames for monograms and other designs
- Multi-Colored Lettering
- Even spacing with horizontal & vertical Distribute Tools
- Combine multiple designs
- Scatter Design Tool
- Monograms or text segments with Text Connector Designs
- Follow Path Tool to arrange words
- Alpha Mapping
- Drop Shadow for Fonts
- Built-in recipes for the built-in lettering designs
- Match Projects to Fabrics & Stabilizers
What All You Can Do with Brother Embroidery Software:
- Huge Selection of digitized designs, monogram décors
- Frames and small accent designs
- Word collage in the form of lettering
- High-quality lettering
- Create appliques by importing and exporting ScanNCut FCM files
- Letter designs options to create keyboard fonts in a customized manner
- Import and export ScanNCut FCM files to create appliqués
- Edit on-the-go from your desktop or mobile device
- Send designs wirelessly to your machine
- Basic editing with BES cloud
Price: There is a 30-day free trial. Price of Brother BES Software is available on request.
Compatible OS: Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP
TrueSizer embroidery software by Wilcom allows users to view, read and modify embroidery files. You can change the design size and perform editing functions like rotation, mirroring, and skewing. After making edits, you can save the file to most types of embroidery stitch file formats.
TrueSizer embroidery digitizing software provides a collection of images for use as a background in design mock-up. This gives a realistic view of the final output which can be printed or emailed for approval. There is a Web version of TrueSizer embroidery digitizing software for editing on the go. It works on a Windows PC, Mac, and tablet.
Unique Functionality: TrueSizer has its own .EMB file format to keep, edit and store embroidery files.
Features of TrueSizer Embroidery Digitizing Software
- Display designs in hoops
- Re-size original digitized designs in .EMB format
- Resize, rotate, and mirror embroidery designs
- Email files directly from application
- Edit and re-color .EMB, .ART, .JAN designs
- TrueView and normal stitch view
- Support for several commercial and home stitch file formats
- Output to embroidery disk
- Image gallery to view designs on garments
- Customer approval sheets with design and location
- Production worksheets with design information and thread color sequence
- Match threads to all color slots in the current colorway
- Non-EMB formats like .DST
- Keep original stitching effects and densities like advanced fancy fills
What All You Can Do with TrueSizer Embroidery Digitizing Software
- TrueView to simulate designs in vibrant thread colors
- Scale designs up and down without distortion
- Recolor a design with thread charts like Madeira, Isacord, Coats, Gunold and more.
- Create and save multiple colorways
- Export your embroidery files to different stitch file formats
- Print a Production Worksheet or Summary with preview and other details
Price: You can access the basic version for free. Pro version has a 14-day free trial and the annual subscription costs around Rs 299 per month.
Compatible OS: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android
Embird is a versatile embroidery and quilting software that enables editing and designing with functions like design organization, re-sizing, splitting, text editing, and more. There are two parts to the basic module– Embird Manager and Embird Editor.
The main module has sufficient features to make regular designs, print and convert them. For extended capabilities like digitizing, lettering, and cross stitch designs, you can opt for plug-in programs.
Embird embroidery software can be used as a standalone tool or an addition to your existing system in both industry and home. It is independent of any specific embroidery machine.
Unique Functionality: Embird is a modular embroidery software that allows users to choose the modules based on the features they need.
Features of Embird Embroidery Software
- 70+ embroidery and quilting file formats
- Supports 20 embroidery machine brands
- Various hoop types and sizes
- Display in 1:1 scale and other scales
- 3D preview of designs
- 3D simulation of sewing
- Processing in ZIP and RAR archives
- Free-hand splitting and automatic splitting
- Threads catalogs
- File Commander for file management
- Display and sort images – digital photos (.JPG, .TIF, etc.)
- Design documentation types like animated .GIFs and screen saver
- Amazon and Azure cloud storage
What All You Can Do with Embird Embroidery Software
- Insert and delete colors or trims
- Join and split designs
- Conversion of TrueType fonts into embroidery
- Read and write designs stored on memory cards, floppy or hard disks
- Edit individual stitches or parts of design
- Print template in 1:1 scale on several sheets
- Organize designs by copying them to new folders
- Import designs from Embird Studio, Embird Cross Stitch and Sfumato Stitch programs
- Photo-realistic view to check the design without actual embroidering
Price: The license for the basic program of Embird embroidery software costs $199. The cost of plug-ins is separate.
Compatible OS: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, XP. Requires Wine and XQuartz applications for Mac
What All You Can Do With Embroidery Designing Software
|Name of the software||What all can you do|
|my editor||– Embroidery process simulation|
– Automated adjustment process for managing stitching density
– Embroidery design database tool available
– Application of horizontal, vertical, diagonal and circular guidelines
– Custom thread colour palettes
|DRAWings Pro X||– Colour matching with actual threads|
– Automatic calculation of embroidery parameters that cover branching, compensation, underlay and thread trimming
– Receive real-time updates between an artwork design and its stitch results
– Use the stitch window for direct shape editing
– Auto-stitch conversion for tracing vector artwork from bitmap image
– Possible to create true type fonts into text
|BuzzEdit v3||– Advanced digitising and stitching tools|
– Applique function for creating position tack downs
– Continuous border wizard for giving borders accurate alignment
– Automatic wreath support for coordinating between label and wreath designs
– Thread palettes and hoops for automatic splitting
|Embrilliance Essentials||– Stitch recalculation tool for resizing designs|
– Colour management through colour sequence charts
– Scalable applique frames
– Advanced alignment for simple centering
– Resequence all the designs for controlling sewing orders
|SewWhat-Pro||– Split pattern option for dividing into different parts a piece of design|
– Filter stitches support feature for deleting short stitches
– Possible to resize a pattern using density adjustment option
– Text based/graphical reordering of thread colour stops
– Easy to convert cross stitch patterns into embroidery files
|Wilcom Embroidery Studio e3||– Multi page layers, designs and page layouts.|
– Design thumbnails that display settings every time you save a new design
– Solid font previews for previewing each letter
- What is embroidery digitizing software?
An embroidery digitizing software converts the artwork of different types into a digital file so that the embroidery machines read the needle's path.
- What does embroidery software do?
An embroidery software uses the image uploaded by the user as well as the details entered like the design size, stitch type, stitch direction, embroidery thread colors. It converts everything into a digital file that can be recognized by an embroidery machine.
- How does embroidery software work?
Embroidery software converts an image/artwork into an embroidery file. This embroidery design file defines parametrized embroidery objects such as lines, sating columns or fill areas according to the user’s needs. After conversion of vector format to stitch format, it is uploaded to an embroidery machine.
- Which are the best free embroidery digitizing software for Mac?
For Mac, PREMIER+ 2 Embroidery is one of the best free embroidery digitizing software. TruEmbroidery and Bernina Toolbox embroidery software have free trial.
- Which are the best free embroidery digitizing software for Windows 10?
Some of the best free embroidery digitizing software compatible with Windows 10 include Ink/Stitch software, My editor, and many more.
Digitizing is an interesting process. Lots of advanced embroidery digitizing software to convert simple artwork into a digital file. These embroidery patterns are then stitched on the surface of the fabric using automatic embroidery machine.
A digitized file is of utmost importance since it guides an embroidery about how to stitch the desired design on the garment. Scan through to opt for some of the best embroidery digitizing software available in the market.