What are Mainframe Testing Tools?
The meticulous testing of software applications and services according to mainframe systems is known as mainframe testing. The mainframe is a multi-user, powerful, lightning-fast computer system considered the most scalable, reliable, and secure machine available. It is mainly used for larger-scale computing, which demands a high level of security and availability, and the system is used in sectors like finance, insurance, retail, and others where there is a requirement for processing massive amounts of data.
The mainframe testing tools assist businesses in streamlining and automating the testing procedure, improving the reliability of applications, and reducing the effort and time required for mainframe testing. The purpose of mainframe testing is to make sure that the software application or service gives optimum performance and desired results, plus it also checks if they are ready for deployment or not. Some of the most popular mainframe testing tools include IBM rational functional tester, IBM rational performance tester, BMC Compuware Topaz, and CA Gen.
Why Use Mainframe Testing Tools?
Mainframe automation testing tools are utilized for ensuring the top-notch quality and reliable performance of mainframe applications. These tools contribute to a reduction in time and effort and an improvement in the effectiveness and accuracy of the testing procedure. Here are some important reasons why these tools are used.
- Speed: Thanks to mainframe testing tools, you can ensure the consistency and accuracy of test cases and identify performance issues and defects more quickly.
- Automation: These tools help in automating numerous aspects of the testing process like case creation, reporting, execution, and reduction of manual effort during testing.
- Scalability: Owing to these tools, you can easily handle complex and large test scenarios, thus allowing the testing to be done on a scale that is almost impossible with manual testing.
- Cost-effectiveness: When you use these tools, then most of the repetitive tasks get automated and there is a minimal requirement for manual testing, which results in the reduction of costs.
How Do Mainframe Testing Tools Work?
To do effective mainframe testing, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps
- Planning: The first step is for the business team or development team to create the test plans using the system requirement document, business requirement document, and other project inputs and documents. You need to determine, how a certain item or procedure will be altered during the release cycle. Moreover, you must coordinate with the project management team and development team to prepare the test cases and scenarios in advance.
- Scheduling: Once you prepare the requirement document, you will share it with the testing and development teams. Additionally, the testing schedule should be documented together with an accurate project delivery plan.
- Deliverables: Once the testing team and development team receive the document, they will review it carefully. Therefore, you need to carefully specify all the deliverables without any confusion, plus it should also satisfy all the test scope objectives.
- Implementation: After that, the implementation should be done as per the plan and deliverables. Primarily, the modified requirement in a release will have a direct impact on 15–25% of the application. And the remaining 60–75% of the release will rely on things that are not included, such as testing the processes and apps.
- Reporting: Following that, you will meticulously discuss and analyse the test findings with the development team. The testing team should stay in touch with the development team so that changes may be made right away when required.
Key Features of Mainframe Testing Tools
Some key features of mainframe testing tools include:
- Testing across technologies: The mainframe testing tool offers end-to-end testing for numerous technologies. Moreover, owing to the insights across different environments allow the testing team to quickly detect errors and bugs.
- Test archives: Test archiving and reporting are beneficial for audit purposes plus it helps testers in creating, reviewing and adjusting the manual as well as automated tests.
- Testing across platforms: The best mainframe testing tools allow for testing to be done in cross-browser, mobile environments, desktop, and API
- Intuitive web interface: These tools have a straightforward web interface that makes them suitable for non-coders
- Browser Testing: Some tools support browser testing, sikuli testing, native mobile app testing, API testing and more.
- Integration: Integration with different tools such as Asana, Monday.com, JIRA and Slack, you can do bug logging with just a single click.
- Live Testing: Mainframe testing tools also support live interactive testing through virtual machines (VM) and you can even host it on Lambdatest cloud.
- Shard Cloud: You can access more than 300 devices that are located in over 30 countries via shared cloud.
- Multiple tests support: Support for multiple types of tests such as regression, sanity, load and stress, security and end-to-end testing.
- Built-in help: There are some mainframe testing tools that offer hundreds of sample tests cases along with built-in help.
Benefits of Mainframe Testing Tools
Mainframe testing tools offer a range of benefits to businesses and organizations that rely on mainframe systems. These tools are designed to help developers identify issues before they become critical problems. The advantages of using these tools are many, and some of them are mentioned below:
- Increased Agility: Mainframe testing tools enable organizations to quickly adapt and respond to changing business requirements. They facilitate faster development and deployment of software, enhancing overall agility.
- Shorter Release Cycles: By automating testing processes and streamlining workflows, mainframe testing tools help reduce the time required for software releases. This results in shorter release cycles, allowing businesses to deliver updates and new features rapidly.
- Reduced Risk of Errors: Mainframe testing tools provide comprehensive testing capabilities, ensuring that the software undergoes thorough examination before deployment. This helps minimize the risk of errors, bugs, and vulnerabilities, enhancing the overall system reliability.
- Improved Efficiency: With automated testing processes and advanced features, mainframe testing tools enhance overall efficiency. It also reduces manual effort and increases test coverage. This enables organizations to allocate resources effectively and achieve higher productivity.
- Cost Savings: Mainframe testing tools can lead to cost savings in various ways. By reducing the occurrence of errors and minimizing the need for costly rework, organizations can avoid potential financial losses. Additionally, streamlined workflows and automated processes save time and resources, resulting in lower operational costs.
- Enhanced Scalability: Mainframe testing tools support scalability by efficiently handling large-scale testing requirements. They can accommodate growing workloads and allow organizations to expand their software capabilities without compromising performance or quality.
5 Top Mainframe Automation Testing Tools
Mainframe automation testing tools have become crucial in ensuring the efficiency and accuracy of mainframe applications. Here are the top 5 mainframe automation testing tools in the market:
|Software ||Features ||Price |
|QAComplete ||Data-driven testing, ERP testing & validation, Test Management Tools ||Available on request |
|Compuware Strobe ||Complete code lines, Multi Cloud management, Measure performance in CI/CD pipelines ||Available on request |
|IBM File Manager ||Perform complex data set evaluations, Avoid data-check problems on tape blocks ||Available on request |
|Subject7 ||Modularizing Test Procedures, Supports API and Browser testing, Creating and execute test on the go ||Available on request |
|Lamda Test ||Cross Browser Testing, GeoLocation Testing, Automated Screenshots ||Available on request |
Factors to Consider When Buying Mainframe Testing Tools
One of the most critical things to consider for mainframe testing is to buy high-quality and perfect tools that'll help you in achieving the best possible results. Let's look at some key factors to consider when buying mainframe application testing tools for your organization.
- Technological versatility: The first thing you should consider is technological versatility and cross-technological capability. Mainframes are hardly used as stand-alone systems; instead, they are frequently coupled and integrated with other platforms and technologies that together provide the business with values that are essential to take it to the next level. So, an effective testing tool allows your teams to do end-to-end testing across multiple technologies, enables seamless integration, and provides teams with a centralized perspective of the bug occurrence.
- No code: When the tool is codeless, it helps in increasing the test speed and reducing the maintenance burden. Your team will be less reliant on mainframe developers, a resource that is limited and required for true mainframe development. It will allow you to avoid any bottlenecks, and this also offers a level of scalability for businesses that a coding-based tool cannot. Mainframe development specialists are often hard to find, thus they shouldn't be wasting their time on pointless test code. Moreover, resources are better utilized in this way, allowing companies to release software more quickly and safely.
- Compatibility: You need to make sure the testing tool can connect seamlessly with your current testing framework and is compatible with your mainframe system.
- Optimum functionality: The testing tool should be equipped with the essential tools and features required to carry out the tests you need, such as regression testing, stress testing and load testing.
- Adequate Support: You should check to see if the seller offers sufficient support and upkeep services for the tools. It should include access to patches, regular updates and technical support.