2020 is the year of videos. In every industry, customers are consuming videos at a rapid rate. And that is the reason why companies are focusing more and more on high quality videos.
Videos are gaining popularity in not just video-oriented platforms like YouTube, but also on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Everybody is busy either creating or consuming video content; as a creator, influencer, viewer or subscriber.
Good editing is required if you want to produce a great quality video. A brilliantly edited video leaves a mark on the viewers. That is why we have listed down 23 best free video editing software:
List of 25 Best Free Video Editing Software 2020:
- Windows Movie Maker
- VSDC Free Video Editor
- DaVinci Resolve
- Shotcut Video Editor
- HitFilm Express
- Media 100
- Adobe Premiere Clip
- Media Composer
- VideoPad Video Editor
- Freemake Video Converter
- Lapse It
Best Free Video Editing Software for PC
Editing a video in a PC is more convenient than editing on any other device. These are the best free video editing software which can be used for PC. Let’s have a look.
For iOS, iMovie is a free video editing software available in Appstore. It is appropriate for beginners and is really ease to use.
Key Features of iMovie Free Video Editing Software:
- It has a variety of themes and trailers pre-installed
- You can share your videos directly across all social media platforms
- It has a lot of shortcuts that increase efficiency
- You can adjust the levels of your audio from the software
- It has a dedicated green screen control
- Remove background noise with the help of iMovie
2. Windows Movie Maker
Windows movie maker is one of the most used and the simplest video editing software available in the market. It’s perfect for beginners as it is very easy to use.
Key Features of Window Movie Free Video Editing Software:
- Different video effects and video transitions available
- Add titles or credits, audio track and timeline narration to your video
- It suitable for beginners because of its easy features and a simple user interface
- You can upload your video directly to social media platforms
- It can accept formats like AVI, MP2, ASF, DVR-MS, M1V, MP2V, MPE, MPEG, MPG, MPV2, WM and WMV.
Openshots is a free video editing software which allows you to add as many audio and video clips as you want. You can use waveforms to visualize your audio.
Key Features of Openshots Free Video Editing Software:
- It includes more than 70 languages
- You can always use the latest video editing technology
- It supports input formats likeQuickTime, AVI, WMV, MPEG, etc.
- Produces the final video in the form ofmpeg, avi, mp4, mov, etc.
- Use 3D animated title and effects as well
Lightworks is a video editor that has a variety of pre-installed ready-to-use video effects. You can access a huge library of royalty-free content inside this video editing software itself. These who have used an editing software before will enjoy using this software as it contains numerous advanced and technical features. It has a paid version available as well.
Key Features of Lighworks Free Video Editing Software:
- It can edit up to 256 video, audio, and still image clips
- You can use it to edit 4K videos
- It is ideal for handling multiple projects as it has a lot of advanced features
- It supports almost all the latest audio and video formats
It is an open source animated software for 3D content creation. It is a software specifically designed for advanced users. Some of its advanced tools are histogram, live preview, luma waveform, chroma vectorscope displays, audio mixing, syncing, scrubbing and waveform visualization.
Key Features of Blender Free Video Editing Software:
- It has features like modifier-based modelling tools, powerful character animation tools, a node-based material
- Its interface is customizable and has flexible colour setting
- Supports all the latest audio and video formats
- The output formats supported by this video editing software are.MOV, .MPEG4, .MP4, .AVI, .WMV, .MPEGPS, .FLV, 3GPP, WebM
6. VSDC Free Video Editor
VSDC is a free video software which can be used to create and edit different types of videos. It supports most video and audio formats, and you can include videos from DVD and GoPro as well. Preinstalled profiles are useful in creating videos for different mobile devices.
Key Features of VSDC Free Video Editing Software:
- It offers text and audio overlay, array of charts and a slideshow maker.
- It has a non-linear editing system. Non-linear means that there is no need to follow any specific sequence. Properties, shapes and positions of all objects can be changed as well.
- VSDC has hardware acceleration, multi-color chroma key and adjustable parameters settings.
- With the enhanced resolution in real-time, you can create HD videos easily.
7. DaVinci Resolve
DaVinci Resolve 16 is a software that has the ability to do professional 8K editing, colour correction, audio editing and visual effects and audio post production. It is very easy to move between editing, colours, effects, and audio with just one single click.
Key Features of DaVinci Resolve Free Video Editing Software:
- It is the only software where multi user collaboration is possible. Assistants, editors, colorists, VFX artists and sound designers can work on the same project at the same time.
- Dual timeline lets you navigate the whole edit and trim without any need to zoom and scroll.
- Save time as the edit modes can sync clips and edits for you intelligently.
- There are built in tools available for picture in picture effects, stabilisation, retiming, dynamic zoom, audio and text.
- A neural engine is there in DaVinci which detects faces in the videos automatically.
Wondershare Filmora is a free video editing software. It is a popular video editing application for the ones who want to make high-quality videos. You can edit 4K videos as well. It is equipped with tools made for both audio and video.
Key Features of Filmora Free Video Editing Software:
- You can automatically perform ripple delete and ripple trim
- Also toggle auto ripple on and off according to your necessity.
- You will also get a review render button and a new smart background preview.
- Create compositing effects and organize your media.
- Apply effects, filters, and transitions to your video clips.
- Shaky footage can be smoothened out with the stabilization tool.
- Volume of the audio clip can be adjusted within the timeline by using keyframing to make multiple adjustments within a single clip.
- You can also choose from 3 track sizes - small, medium and large.
- Rotate, flip, scale, and move any video clip or image inside the preview window.
Avidemux is a video editing software that is specially designed for cutting, filtering and encoding different video clips. It supports several file types like AVI, MP4, ASF, DVD compatible MPEG files, and more. You can automate tasks by using job queue, projects, and efficient scripting.
Key Features of Avidmux Free Video Editing Software:
- Avidemux is available for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and BSD.
- You can cut, copy or remove portions of a video.
- Get various video and audio filters with this free video editing software.
- Convert video for archiving or publishing it.
- It supports all common video formats.
Clipchamp is an easy- to- use video editor that comes with all the essential editing tools you need to work on video projects. Features like trimming, cutting, rotating, cropping, and speed control are available in the software. You can also add audio tracks, text, images, adjust colours and apply filters.
Key Features of Clipchamp Free Video Editing Software:
- You can use different media assets to produce videos or use your own footage as well.
- The software provides 3 video tools with this free video editing software. They are all available in one interface.
- It also includes an in-built video converter and compressor, and an in-browser webcam recorder to record your videos.
- Use this free video editing software to reduce video file sizes, convert video clips into different formats such as MP4.
11. Shotcut Video Editor
Shotcut is a Movavi’s video editing software that lets you edit video like a professional and create great looking videos. Shotcut is an open source, free, and cross-platform video editor.
Key Features of Shotcut Free Video Editing Software:
- You can use video clips, different background scores, music, and sound from video editor library.
- Increase your video quality by removing motion distortion without affecting overall video quality.
- You will be able to adjust audio frequencies, normalize audio, apply effects and remove noise.
- This free video editing software can automatically detect audio rhythm and sync it with the tempo of the whole video.
- You have the ability to combine multiple videos on a single screen.
- You can edit and export videos without any delay. This can happen with the help of Intel hardware acceleration.
- Voiceover can be recorded with the help of microphone.
12. HitFilm Express
HitFilm Express is a video editing software that is free and which has the functionality of VFX as well. It is very easy to use, therefore perfect for beginners to take their first step towards becoming a professional or editor or filmmaker. This free video editing software is suitable for beginners, students, YouTubers, and anyone who is working on a budget.
Key Features of HitFilm Express Free Video Editing Software:
- Combine timeline and layers, and also track locking with this free video editing software.
- Export queue lets you to set-up a list of video clips to export automatically while you are not present at your desk.
- This free video editing software has UHD support and RAM preview ensures quality for your projects.
- Various advanced animation tools are now available within HitFilm express. Now create and edit audio as well as video transitions without creating composite shots.
- Get the famous Picture in Picture (or PiP) effect with this free video editing software. With HitFilm you can position one clip inside another using different positions and scales.
- Create and copy a group of attributes from one clip to another. You can also grade one and apply the same to the rest.
- Fine-tune your sound with the audio mixer in this free video editing software. Balance, modify and mix different tracks easily.
- Create smooth transitions between shots with slide, push, dissolve, split, fade, zoom transition features.
13. Media 100
Media 100 is a free video editor for MacOS. Media 100 offers stable and ease-of-use features with great image quality. 100 is an ideal solution for beginners who want to deliver videos of professional quality.
Key Features of Media 100 Free Video Editing Software:
- It supports various video resolutions like 4K, 2K, HD, and SD.
- Get broadcast-quality output videos for file-based workflows with the help of Media 100 Suite.
- You can export your videos from Media 100 timeline directly to Adobe After Effects for finishing.
- Boris RED is also included in this free video editing software for different transitions and titling.
- Its native QuickTime codec support includes DVDPRO HD and ProRes. You can also mix supported codecs in a single timeline without any rending or conversion.
- Get option of unlimited layering, text generations, custom transitions, and animation with Media 100’s advanced keyframing.
Video Editing Software for YouTube Free
These days, sharing videos on YouTube is gaining popularity. People are searching for good video editors that can edit video especially for YouTube. Let’s take a look at the free video editing software for YouTube.
14. Adobe Premiere Clip
Adobe Premiere Clip is a free video editing software that is used to make videos of high-quality videos which are fun and easy to create. You can directly open these videos in Adobe Premiere Pro CC for giving your videos some extra touch.
Key features of Adobe Premiere Clip free video editing software:
- Choose a soundtrack and clip beautiful sets of images to the exact beats of the music. Share your videos immediately to anyone or any platform. You can even customize your video further with powerful editing features.
- You can drag and drop videos and images in the order that you like, trim or cut the parts that you don’t want in your video, and add visual elements with various adjustments, transitions, and effects.
- You get the freedom to choose any track of your choice from stock soundtracks library. You can also add the desired music that you want. Smart volume feature smooths audio levels in your video.
- Apply lighting and colour with this free video editing software to increase the overall appearance of your videos.
- Add static image to make the visual interesting. Apply a slow and subtle zoom as well.
- You share your videos directly to all social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook or YouTube.
- Send the videos directly to Premiere Pro CC to apply more edits.
15. Media Composer
Media Composer offers support to multiple formats. It gives advanced video editing features which is suitable for professional video editors. From start to end, you get great features to tell your story, and impress your clients. This video is useful if you are a professional editor or a freelancer.
Key features of Media Composer free video editing software:
- You can give a whole new look and feel to the story that you are trying to tell with your videos. Change the mood of your video with colour grading and different visual effects.
- Create amazing soundtracks in 7.1 surround with the media composer in this free video editing software.
- Edit HD, UHD, 8K, and 16K, to stereoscopic 3D with Media Composer. It eliminates all bottlenecks by streamlining your workflow.
- With its media management capabilities, keep track of all your files.
- Its HDR colour and DNx codecs enable you to match different colour spaces and scale high-res media.
- For video editors who are on deadline, automate time-consuming tasks in the background.
- You can use this free video editing software for creating YouTube videos as well.
WeVideo is a video editing software with cloud storage, screen casting, and voiceover capabilities for professionally looking video creation.
Key features of WeVideo free video editing software:
- You can add features like green screen to make your videos look more professional.
- You get zero upload time with this free video editing software.
- You can upload on different social media platforms like YouTubeand choose from multiple formats.
- Choose from over 1 million pieces of stock media, including images, videos, and music tracks. Get commercially-licensed and royalty-free music with this free video editing software.
- Have the freedom to make videos on any device whether it’s Windows, Mac, Chromebook and mobile. You can edit with Android and iOS mobile devices as well. Cloud-based flexibility means you Get unlimited storage with its cloud-based flexibility.
17. VideoPad Video Editor
This free video editing software is designed to be intuitive, and made for professional video editors. VideoPad is a video editor filled with features for editing and creating videos of professional quality within a few minutes.
Key features of VideoPad free video editing software:
- You can burn movies to DVD and even export your videos online to various portable devices.
- Capture video from camcorder, GoPro, or webcam, and access common video file formats including AVI, DIVX, MP4, APNG and many more.
- There are over fifty visual and transition effects that add a professional touch to your videos.
- You also receive intuitive and fast editing option with its brilliant video streaming processor.
- This free video editing software includes over 50 visual effects & transitions that you can use in your YouTube videos as well.
- VideoPad video editor supports all popular video formats.
- Burn, save, upload, and share your videos and export them to file or disc.
- Edit and apply different effects to audio tracks with this free software.
- Perform 3D and 360 video editing features and export them accordingly.
Kapwing is a simple and powerful tool for creating images, GIFs, and videos, that too online. Kapwing lets you make videos from your own content. You can stitch different clips together whether its gifs, videos and images. You can easily upload your favourite media, or just paste the link.
Key features of Kapwing free video editing software:
- The feature of dragging and dropping your media into any order is also available. You can change the shape and size of your output video.
- Now get higher engagement with this free video editing software as you would be able to share your videos directly on social media.
- Put captions, logos, labels, stickers, calls to action, and more on your videos and images.
- Adjust the timing, choose colours, animate different elements, and add music with this free video editing software.
- Average footage can be turned into stop-motion clips by using the Kapwing free video maker. All you need do to is just upload your footage and get started.
- Include images by uploading an image directly to Kapwing. Pasting a link also works to a .png or .jpg on the internet.
- Using its editor, you can add text to video easily. Just drag and drop to set its position, and easily change the fonts as you like.
Machete is a free video editing software which is used for playing and editing different types of multimedia files. Machete can edit both types of files: video and audio, in formats like WMV, AVI, MP4, FLV, MKV, MOV, 3GP, 3G2, MP3, WMA, and WAV formats. You will also receive the support from Machete for its future versions of the program.
Key features of Machete free video editing software:
- You can delete unwanted fragments, mix, copy, move, and save different pieces.
- Use this software to remove audio from your video files.
- Play AVI and WMV video files.
- Cut, delete, copy and paste fragments of video files with this free video editing software.
- You can save video fragments as separate files as well.
- You have the ability to insert one file into another video file.
- Edit metadata for all supported media formats.
- Save a frame as bitmap file, and as PNG & JPEG.
Loopster is an online video editor that provide a free software to educators, individuals, and even filmmakers. This free online video editing software is easy to learn and use, and is a very versatile software. Loopster is effective enough to be used in projects of any scale.
Key features of Loopster free video editing software:
- You can easily use Loopster's editor anywhere; at home as well as on - the – go. You can use this software in your smartphone using the Loopster app as well.
- You don't need to have any experience in video editing to use Loopster and create videos.
- Loopster allows multiple people to work on a single video together and it also includes an admin panel to monitor a project.
- Add sound effects for the extra impact in your footage and turn them to professional looking videos.
- Record easily and slow down or speed up your videos. Add graphics, text, audio, sound effects and different transitions.
- It has a great system for video distribution as well.
21. Freemake Video Converter
Freemake Video Converter converts videos in 500+ formats for free. You can convert to MP3, MP4, DVD, AVI, WMV, iPhone, and android. You can also convert YouTube videos to the format that you want.
Key features of Freemake Video Converter free video editing software:
- Freemake video editor supports all formats including MP3, MP4, SWF, AVI, MKV, WMV, DVD, HD, RM, MOV, QT, Divx, TS, and MTS.
- You can import anything whether its images or audio files and turn these multimedia to brilliant videos.
- You can transform multiple clips together with the help of its codecs like MKV, AAC, and MPEG4.
- There is an option to download video clips from platforms like Vimeo, YouTube, Dailymotion, etc. Even extract the audio from these YouTube clips and modify them to any format you like, for e.g. MP4, MP3, MKV, AVI, WMV, and 3GP.
- Free Converter uploads audio and visual files to iOS and iTunes after conversion. This helps in remaking large HD videos too.
- Transform video clips for any device with this free video editing software’s media playback option. You can use the ready settings for iPhones, iPads, Android devices, Windows devices, Xbox, and various different mobile devices such as tablets, smartwatches and consoles.
Best Free Video Editing Software for Mobile
Editing on the go is the best way to save time. These are the best free video editing software for mobile.
Splice is an efficient and free video editing software for mobile iOS. Splice is suitable for iPhone and iPad users and is introduced by the makers of GoPro. This app is very simple and extremely easy to use. All thanks to its super simple interface. Cut, copy and edit videos in a few taps only. You can add different sounds and transitions from their huge built-in library and make your video sharable is an instant.
Key Features of Splice Free Video Editing Software:
- You can create videos that look professional with iPhone and iPads. You will get the power of a desktop video editor on your mobile devices.
- Perform every function that a professional video editor does, i.e. crop, trim, apply effects, add titles, control the speed, apply animation, and transitions, add music and do much more.
- You will get a huge library to choose sound effects and free music. You can also overlay more than one track, increase or decrease the volume. You can even add your narration as an audio in your video file with this free video editing software.
Best Free Video Editing Apps for Instagram
Instagram videos are gaining popularity and here are a few of the best video editing apps that you can use on your phone to create stunning Instagram videos to share with friends and followers.
Horizon is a video editing app that helps users to record videos in a horizontal format, regardless of the way you hold your phone. We often forget to tilt our phone when we are in a hurry to record a moment.
Key Features of Horizon Free Video Editing Software:
- Get a different way of zooming on the subject while recording a video. All you have to do is tilt your mobile to zoom out or zoom in while recording. There are no special gestures required.
- You can choose from 8 real time filters, and add that oomph factor to your video files.
- The feature of enabling slow motion while recording a video is also available. This free video editing software will automatically record it horizontally.
- You can select multiple items with a just a swipe. You can playback 120 frames per second footage in slow motion by just tapping & holding the screen.
- Capture that your favourite horizontal shots with just a single tap.
Magisto is a video editing software for mobile which can do multiple tasks designed and create the video of your choice for Instagram.
Key Features of Magisto Free Video Editor:
- Input the raw footage and select a video style of choice. There are various video styles available in this free video editing software.
- You can include music of your choice with Magisto free video editing software.
- This app is available on both android and iOS, and has won many awards like ‘Editor’s Choice’, etc.
- You can host videos related to your website with its native player.
- There is an option available to distribute cross channel marketing videos which can be optimized for email marketing, social media, email, content marketing and various platforms used for video advertising.
25. Lapse It
This free video editing software is perfect for making time-lapses videos that are a huge hit on Instagram. Lapse It has fully – functional versions for every operating system so that everyone can access this software and app.
Key Features of Lapse It Free Video Editing Software:
- Time-lapse videos are especially done as short form and posted on Instagram.
- It is available for both for iOS and Android
- Lapse It has a very powerful and fast render engine
- It has an UI used for improving usability and visual
- This free video editing app can capture interval which starts at one second
- Apply different effects while capturing video footage or during post processing
- You can upload your video directly to different social media platforms other than Instagram like YouTube and Facebook.
We hope this list was helpful to beginners as well as to those who are looking for a free alternative of editing their videos. Video production has a bright future and if you want to start your journey, you should try your hands on these free video editing software applications. If you have any more suggestions for us to include in this list, feel free to comment down below.