You have all kinds of software applications to ease our day-to-day tasks. Be it booking a cab or finding your soul mate. Why not let it help you with your exams as well? Did you know there are open source and free online exam software applications available for free, that can ease the lives of both the examiner and the examinee?
What is Online Exam Software?
Online examination software is a web-based platform used by educational institutes to conduct computer-based exams. All students need is a good internet connection and the access to devices for taking objective and subjective assessments and tests. Colleges and universities can benefit from AI driven analytics technologies provided by online exam software to streamline the testing process and evaluate the performance of students.
Who are the Potential Users of Online Exam Software Free & Open Source?
Online examination software can be used by schools and colleges for the assessment of students. It plays an important role in their learning and skill development. Apart from universities, open source and free online exam software solutions can be used across different sectors, such as:
- Business organizations for candidate evaluation & employee training
- Organizations managing entrance exams, such as, CAT, MAT, NEET, IIT JEE, CLAT, GATE, Civil services, government hiring, etc.
- Coaching institutes use free and open source online exam software to assess the progress of their students regularly and perform mock tests.
11 Free Open Source Exam Software List for Online Assessment
These applications are replacing our good old pen-and-paper testing and are extremely easy to use. Let's have a look at some of these open-source online exam software list of applications:
Open source and free exam software list for examiners make the process of evaluation so much easier, and it lets the students take their exams online.
TCExam free open source online exam software, which do not require any additional hardware to run. This application contains a large number of modules, and these modules contain an even larger number of topics. Furthermore, these topics contain an immense amount of questions. This open source online exam software provides equal opportunities to people with disabilities. It has an option of generating printable OMR sheets which can be filled and scanned later to TCExam. It supports translation in several languages, even right to left languages like Arabic.
TCExam open source online examination software has simplified the evaluation process of schools, universities, recruiting firms and huge organizations, enabling them create and manage exams, test, quizzes and surveys efficiently.
Features of TCExam
- It is configurable according to your requirement
- You can import and export data into this software
- It has an option of generating printable OMR sheets
- You can add multimedia content
VirtualX is a fully automated, free open source exam software which can be used in colleges, companies and e-learning organizations. It supports 12 different types of questions such as multiple-choice questions, fill in the blanks, yes or no, drag and drop and so on. VirtualX online examination system php open source also generates five different types of reports, both graphical and textual, which is beneficial for the examines for further analysis. An option of manual evaluation is also provided for descriptive questions in VirtualX.
This open source online exam software available in three different versions, fulfilling diverse needs across different organizations.
i) Hosted VirtualX: You can run VirtualX without stressing about any hosting related issues.
ii) Integration of existing School Management Software: You can integrate any existing learning management Software with VirtualX.
iii) Customizing VirtualX: You can customize VirtualX according to your organization's needs.
VirtualX online exam software open source php also has a Pro version with a basic plan, basic plus plan and premium plan.
Features of VirtualXPro
- Supports 14 different types of questions.
- Enables the creation of question banks.
- Provides filtering of questions with respect to question types, question tags and question banks.
- Used for giving negative marks to questions.
- Provides an extension of time for homework
Moodle is an best open source software for Learning Management System (LMS) coded in PHP and distributed under GNU General Public License. This online examination system php open source has a strong and integrated system which is suitable for educators, administrators and learners. Moodle is one of the most trusted, secure and easy to use software available in the market. This software can also be used to create customizable websites with online courses for educators and trainers to achieve learning goals. Moodle online assessment software can be scaled depending on the number of people using it. So, its suitable for managing a bunch of few students in a coaching institute or hundreds of employees in a large organization.
Features of Moodle
- Provides collaborative tools and activities for group learning
- Offers an all-in-one calendar to keep track of your events
- Provides an easy file management system
- It has a simple text editor
- You can receive automatic notifications and can the progress of examinee alongside.
Move your school into online school with video conferencing software
TAO is an online exam software with open source for computerized test taking. It is an open source exam software which provides a modular framework for collaborative test development with features like subject management, group management and result management. It is a multilingual application which also ensures subscription management between different modules. You can assign tests to a group of examinees for different subject modules and later export the results available in the form of tables to MS excel files.
TAO open source online exam software is available in three editions: Community, premium and enterprise. While the community edition is available free of cost, the other two can be availed with a few additional features by paying certain amount.
Features of TAO
- It is a multilingual application
- Can be integrated to several multimedia resources
- It can handle easy integration of new resources
- You can access it in every operating system be it Windows, Mac or Linux
- Runs the tests both online and offline
- It is convenient for language exams as you can record and submit short audio clips
- Use it grant extra time to test takers even if the exam has already begun.
This open source exam software provides services to schools, colleges and corporate companies. It generates instant test results and backs up data in every 30 minutes. This application is highly secure and customizable. There are two kinds of users that can operate it: admin and general user. The teachers and lecturers can log in as admin. They can add question or deny access, whereas, a student can only log in as a general user. You can also find various question categories with ready-made and customizable questions on Kaldin.
You can schedule an exam by specifying the exam date, inviting users and announcing it via email. It releases new versions every month with new features and enhancements. You can also get instant real-time results and reports after completion of your test.
Features of Kaldin
- Offers a lot of ready-made questions to choose from
- Provides a scalable platform to handle several assessments at a time
- Contains multiple choice questions, true-false questions and yes-no type questions
- Can be used to manage questions and give instant results
- Runs on mobile platforms as well.
Papershala is an open source online exam software that completes all your needs with respect to education; be it online examination or student analysis. It is platform independent and can run on desktop, tablet and mobile with different operating systems. It has a multifunctional question bank and a student dashboard where students can check their subject-wise results and their overall performance.
The advantages of using Papershala is that your account can get activated or deactivated in just one click and you are able to check your results immediately after taking the exam. You can run the exam in your domain or you can use the free domain available with Papershala.
Features of Papershala
- All its features are completely online
- It provides a question bank with unlimited questions which are reusable
- You can pause and resume exam paper at any point of time.
- It has a multifunctional question bank
Whether you are a school teacher or a company HR, you can now create exams with enhanced graphics and multimedia. You can also use auto-grading and create visually rich reports Edbase open source and free online exam software. You can assess the capabilities of a candidate before hiring them for your company, and cut down your assessment time by 55% with the help of Edbase flexible online exam tool.
It supports both online tests and paper tests. You can also conduct surveys and quizzes with this software.
Features of Edbase
- Creates questions with videos and images.
- Works both online and offline.
- Contains a pool of questions to choose from.
- It can assign a test to one or many.
- You can send feedback to students for improvement.
Mercer Mettl Online Test Software
Manage end-to-end online examination process with Mercer Mettl online testing software. This open source exam management system makes tasks like test creation, centre management and student registration easier. The software helps with examination management for both, classroom learning and distance learning.
Features of Mettl
- Secure storage of exam papers on the cloud
- Automatic grading process that saves the faculty time
- Remote online proctoring
- Centre management with digital solution
- Helps create different test types, such as, aptitude test, domain test, coding test and spoken English evaluator.
Other Popular Online Exam Software for Online Assessment
The market for open source and free online exam software is growing at a faster pace, with new players joining in. Here’s some of the popular online exam software in India with assessment technologies.
FlexiQuiz is another powerful online test and quiz maker, which helps create tests and assessments with ease. This is a free online exam maker, which also allows you to analyse tests and the performance of students.
Tests can be published for selective groups or for everyone, depending upon the test format. If you are looking for the best support on how to conduct online exam, this online testing software is for you.
Features of FlexiQuiz
- Auto Grading
- Powerful Reports
- Secured with SSL Encryption
- Public and Private Tests
- Multiple Question Types
- Includes Images
Online Exam Software Price: FlexiQuiz software pricing starts at around ₹1520 per month.
This is an online assessment software for education, which helps improve the examination structure in schools and colleges considerably. Using this online exam builder, you can conduct all types of online assessment, be it semester exam, aptitude test, entrance exam test, scholarship exam, etc.
Features of Eklavvya
- Online exam question bank management
- Online exam proctoring
- Includes different exam features, such as, negative marking, objective type questions, subjective answers, etc.
- Topic wise performance of candidates
- Performance analysis of the whole batch.
Eklavvya Online Exam Software Price: It’s a free online exam software for up to 25 exams (valid only for 15 days). However, it’s one-year Starter plan starts at ₹30,000 and is available on Techjockey.
It’s a comprehensive examination management software, which helps automate the complete cycle of test creation, designing, assignment for students and result generation. It provides a synchronized user interface, which ensures active accessibility for both, teachers and students.
Features of Think Exam
- Question bank & test creation
- Candidate management
- Test taker panel
- Extensive reporting system
- Secured content flow
Think Exam Online Exam Software Price: It’s a free online exam software with 30 attempts per month. However, at ₹5000/month, you will get 500 test attempts per month.
How is Online Exam Conducted with Free Online Exam Software?
Online exam software helps educational institutes manage the student evaluation process with higher efficiency. There are a few free online exam software that help ensure timeliness and transparency in performance evaluation. Free and open source online exam software follows these steps to make this easy for students and evaluators.
- Step 1: Install the online exam software on your system
- Step 2: Set up exam principles for your students to follow
- Step 3: With the help of pre-set question paper templates, create the question paper
- Step 4: Create login accounts for your students with restricted access
- Step 5: Set the start and end time for the examination
- Step 6: Share the examination link with your students along with the info about exam date and time
- Step 7: You can find out who took the exam and who were absent
- Step 8: Once the test time is over, evaluate the performance of every student online
- Step 9: The software helps detailed performance reports for every student, which you can share with them individually
Q. What is the best offline exam software?📚
Schools with an increasing number of students but with limited bandwidth connection often opt for offline exam software. Here’s the list of 5 best offline exam software, which are widely used in schools to create, edit and delete test and student profiles:
- Offline Test Maker
- EPractize Labs
- Conduct Exam Computer Based Offline Test
- CBT Author Engine
Offline exam software often works by importing pre-saved test modules and modifying them to administer the performance of students and job candidates.
Q. What’s the best assessment software for higher education?🎓
Assessment software for higher education helps organizations establish the desired student learning outcomes. It helps analyse student performance and interpret stats to determine if a student’s learning graph is as per the expectation.
Assemment across institutes for higher education can be made more goal oriented with the best assessment software, mentioned below:
- Top Hat
- Test Invite
These were the easiest software applications to create or take online exams. Save your time and money by not using pen-paper anymore. Make your examination process easier by using open source exam software because online exams are going to change the future of assessment in education.