What is Desktop Publishing Software?
Desktop publishing software, also known as DTP software is used by professional graphic designers and non-designers to create visual content, such as, web pages, brochures, one pagers, banners, posters, business and greeting cards. Along with creative professionals, teachers and students also use web designing software to create visual elements for any event or project.
Desktop publishing provides pre-set templates that can be used by editorial professionals and graphic designers to build layouts quickly and complete their projects on time.
What is Desktop Publishing Software Used for?
DTP software with is powerful publishing technology is ideal for integrating images and text into complex page layouts so that you can print them on the web, or traditional media format. Desktop publishing software provides typesetting and layout tools, vector and transparency editing, and paragraph attributes to convert multiple media and documents into a publishing layout.
Desktop publishing tools help create all types of publishing documents, such as flyers, newsletters, brochures, both online and offline. The software comes with pre-set frames and templates to make complex layouts for all types of publishing materials.
What are the Functions of Desktop Publishing Software?
Desktop publishing solutions provide multiple types of tools like text tools, graphic tools and layout tools for traditional and digital typography. Professional-grade text, images and layouts can be created for desktop and print media publishing.
The desktop publishing system improves the appearance of texts and images dramatically and reduces the time to print. Production costs can also be reduced with minimal chance of errors and rework.
What is the Purpose of Desktop Publishing Software
DTP software is majorly used for these three purposes
1. Page layout design: Desktop publishing system helps create page layouts with defined image and text locations and the number of columns. It also provides the layering option.
2. Graphic design: The desktop publishing tool is used for creating texts and graphical images of professional quality.
3. Artwork Printing: Once the graphic and layout are ready, desktop publishing software help create artworks that can be finally printed for use.
Most Common Features of Desktop Publishing Software
Text Tools: DTP design software provides text tools for adding artistic effects, adjusting text properties, linked text boxes, etc.
Layout Tools: You get layout tools like rulers, layers for multiple editing, object snapping and grouping, etc.
Graphics Tools: DTP software allows editing images in terms of resizing, changing the angle, adding effects and filters, cropping and compressing.
Editing Tools: Desktop publishing tools provide export options to print a layout with all possible types and models of printers.
Import Texts & Graphics: It can import texts and images from multiple types of applications like CAD software, word processes, and more.
Print & Share Options: You can export layouts in multiple formats so that those can be printed across all types of printers.
Multiple Project Support: desktop publishing system supports customized layouts for multiple purposes.
Pre-Built Templates: Top digital publishing tools provide pre-built templates for newsletters, flyers, articles, etc. You just have to make edits and you are ready to go.
Advantages / Benefits of Desktop Publishing Tools
Supports Creativity: With the help of desktop publishing tools, you can create top-notch designs and layouts for marketing, academic and other publishing purposes.
Cost-Effective Desktop Publishing: Once you invest in a desktop publishing software, you can create all types of layouts for publishing. You don’t have to outsource your creative work, thus reducing the overall cost.
Options for customized layouts: Desktop publishing solutions come with pre-built templates that can be adjusted and modified as per your specific requirements.
Enhanced appearance of documents & images: With the help of graphics, layout and text tools, you can create appealing content for publishing.
Time to print is reduced significantly: Reduced manual efforts and the scope of error ensure lesser time in printing any editorial content, brochure, newsletter, etc.
Types of Desktop Publishing Software
Word Processor Software: Word Processor is used for typing, writing, editing and spell/grammar checking. For commercial publishing or printing, you would need a word processor with export/import capabilities in multiple formats along with the tools for arranging the page layouts.
Page Layout Software: Page Layout Software is required for desktop and print publishing. With this software, you can manage page elements, create artistic layouts, integrate text with images and perform multipage publications. This type of desktop publishing software can either be used for professional publishing along with personal activities like creating greeting cards, scrapbooks, etc.
Graphics Software: Web designing and print publishing require both photo editor and vector illustration programs. Graphics software provides both image editing and vector graphic illustration tools for document editing/resizing through multiple iterations. You can also export bitmaps here or add special effects.
Web Publishing Software: Printing a document in hard copies would still require web publishing skills, given the users' preference to access the content online these days. With web publishing software, you can create new website or directories, change the doctype or add metadata to the pages.
How Desktop Publishing Software Works: Desktop publishing software depends on its inbuilt modules for combining data, text, images, charts, graphic art and illustrations into document/page prototypes, which can be further printed. The DTP software also helps integrate text with images, design presentations, develop page layouts and perform colour separation of graphics material/picture.
All such information gets stored in the computing device and the same gets displayed on the screen as you open the software. Once the artwork is finalized, you can export files for publishing. DTP software for PC creates printing plates so that you can later on also add new images or special effects.
Which Desktop Publishing Software Should you Choose?
We have compiled the best examples of desktop publishing software.
1. Microsoft Publisher: Microsoft Publisher offers a collection of borders, pictures and calendars to help you create precise style texts and layouts in minutes. The DTP design software also has prebuilt templates so that designing all types of professional marketing materials, newsletters and personal communication products like greeting cards is hassle-free. You can publish or share our work in a pixel-perfect format using Microsoft Publications.
USP: Easy document exporting in a non-editable format.
2. Adobe InDesign: Adobe InDesign is a robust tool that makes it easy for you to develop beautiful page designs and layouts. The DTP software for PC even offers imageries and foundries for preparing the best graphic designs with typography. You can further publish them in any interactive format using Adobe InDesign.
USP: Feedback management tool so that once you publish the document, reviewers can add text, comments, highlight them, etc.
3. Xara: Xara desktop publishing software with its powerful photo editing and illustration tools allows creating the best-in-class layout and page designs. The page and layout designer uses advanced text controls for letting you manipulate text, align objects and highlight them in 3D for quick publishing.
USP: Intuitive page layouts and the magic snap option.
4. QuarkXPress: QuarkXPress with its professional design tools is used by designers and agencies for publishing print materials. The desktop publishing software is best for exporting and importing vector/raster files. You can also use of the software's colour gradients and channels for preparing amazing illustrations.
USP: Responsive web design for digital printing.