Animation as an industry is evolving as we have so many high-end software applications to create spectacular animated videos. Animation software can be used by both beginners as well as professionals. 2D animation software is specifically used for making explainer and informative videos.
Given below is the list of best 2D animation software for beginner as well as professional animators.
10 Best 2D Animation Software for Beginners
- Synfig Studio
- CrazyTalk Animator
- Blender 2D Animation
- CrazyTalk Animator 3
- Digicel Flipbook
- CelAction 2D
- Moho Pro
Have a look at these best 2D animation software for beginners below:
Pencil2D (Windows, Linux and OSX)
Pencil2D is an open source animation software. It has a minimalistic UI with least distractions in the interface. It is based on traditional animation and comes with a manual on how to use this software. This free animation software for beginners doesn’t require much RAM. It lets you use paint and sketch ink anywhere.
Key Features of Pencil2D:
- It is a cross-platform tool which runs on multiple platforms.
- Review work with rolling or flipping techniques.
- It is a free software that can be used for commercial purposes.
- Supports for Tagged Image File Format (TIFF).
- Import images on specific frames as new layers.
Price: This open source 2D animation software is available for free.
Synfig Studio (Windows, Mac and Linux)
Synfig Studio is a free animation software that provides two versions for its users. One is a stable version and another is a development version. The stable version has all the well-tested features which is safe to use for beginners. The development version provides a good opportunity to the advanced users to test out the newly added features. It has a lot of tutorials for its users available online.
Key Features of Synfig Studio:
- You can convert any image having a vector element into another.
- You get more than 50 layers to create different types of animations.
- Different parameter parameters of the layers can be linked with the help of mathematical expressions with this best 2D animation software.
- Its fully-featured bone system allows you to create cut-out animation and control your vector design using bitmap images.
Price: This 2D animation software is available for free.
CrazyTalk Animator (Windows, Mac)
As a 2D animator, CrazyTalk Animator lets you turn images and modify and control the animated characters. It uses text and voice to animate your character’s facial images. It becomes very easy to turn static images to proper real life characters with the help of this animation software.
Key Features of CrazyTalk Animator:
- It can allow you to capture different facial motions.
- This 2D animation for beginners software can generate lip-sync animation.
- CrazyTalk can convert layers in Photoshop into 2D characters.
- Timeline editing and motion paths are available in this 2D animation software for PC.
- You will get 3D puppet profile with this software.
- Allows creating compound animations that are interactive.
- Existing content can be transformed into 360 heads with CrazyTalk 2D animation software.
Price: There are three modules you can choose from:
- Standard version: Contains photo to 2D feature, audio lip-sync, puppet profile, timeline editing, auto motion, and content resource. It retails for ₹ 3430.
- Pro version: Contains all the above including photo to 3D feature. It retails for ₹ 10,430.
- Pipeline version: Contain all the above including export to iclone feature. It retails for ₹ 13,930.
Blender 2D Animation (Windows, Linux, Mac)
Popular for the 3D animation software, Blender also provides a 2D graphics application. One can develop various types of effects, games and animated movies with the help of Blender 2D animation software. You can import and export all your videos in AVI, QuickTime and MPEG file formats.
Key Features of Blender 2D Animation:
- Blender has all kinds of modelling tools that can create, sculpt, transform, and edit your animations.
- For faster scripting and customization, this best free 2D animation software has a Python API.
- You can create story art and 2D concept design in this animation software.
- It helps customize your shortcuts the way you like.
- Realistic rendering can be done with path tracer provided by this free 2D animation software.
- You will get real-time preview of all the footage.
Price: This 2D animation software is available for free as it is an open source software.
CrazyTalk Animator 3 (Mac and Windows)
CrazyTalk Animator 3 enables you to add basic as well as intricate motions to any 2D image. This 2D animation software has motion libraries and character templates. These help in bringing any 2D artwork to life.
Key Features of CrazyTalk Animator:
- This 2D software can turn images into fully-featured animated characters.
- You can create quadruped as well as cartoon-style characters.
- Human as well as non-human character heads can be customised.
- Continuous body as well as facial movements can be created with this software.
- Images, logos, or texts can be animated using elastic motions with this 2D animation software android.
Price: The price of this 2D animation software starts at ₹ 5500
Digicel Flipbook (Windows and OSX)
FlipBook is suitable for artists and for the one who actually enjoys drawing. If you’ve always wanted to create your own Disney character, this software is for you. This software can let you import your pictures directly from your scanners. Since this software is not based on bones animation, you have to animate every single element yourself.
Key Features of Digicel Flipbook:
- It can convert PDF files directly into flipping books.
- You can customize the toolbar yourself.
- Delete or insert frames in the software.
- FlipBook can shoot your pencil drawings with just one click.
- You can import overlays, backgrounds and movies.
- It allows adding multiple music tracks as well.
- Total number of frames can be determined by using the number keys.
Price: This 2D animation software starts from ₹ 1400
Best 2D Animation Software for Professionals
The following are the best 2D animation software for professionals:
Opentoonz (Windows and OSX)
Opentoonz is quite suitable for professional animators and it combines 2D animation with traditional drawing. To animate your drawings, you simple have to scan it. It is a stable and reliable program and it is compatible with four types of scanning: black and white, coloured, with binarization and without binarization. You can even save the scan settings in this free 2D animation software.
Key Features of Opentoonz:
- OpenToonz 2D animation software open source can be used for both non-commercial as well as commercial projects.
- This software is compatible with TWAIN standards.
- It provides an easy method to paint with provisional colours.
- Both vector and raster images can be animated.
- You can automatically change picture styles by applying deep learning technology.
- Effects can be synthesized with GUI (Graphic User Interface).
Price: It’s a free 2D animation software.
CelAction 2D (Windows, Mac, Linux and OSX)
Beneficial for professional animators, CelAction 2D is a type of software that lets you create advanced level animations. With 16 million colours available in the palette, you get a wide variety of options to choose from.
- Very fast in responsiveness which makes it suitable for expert users.
- Ergonomic controls are present as one of the main features of this 2D animation software.
- Complex projects can be handled by incorporating multiple number of layers.
- It can work with both 32 as well as 64-bit machines.
- This software has different features related to multiplane camera, which lets you gain more control over the animation.
Price: Single licence of CelAction 2D for lifetime usage costs ₹ 91000.
Moho Pro (Windows and OSX)
Moho Pro has excellent bitmap capabilities with features for freehand drawing and vector animation. It’s improved 3D support and bone-rigging system create a simplified and efficient workflow. This 2D animation software combines professional tools with animation technology.
Key features of Moho Pro:
- Create unique effects and textures for your characters.
- This software can create custom bitmap brush as well. Bitmap brush’s output can be controlled with the help of velocity, pressure and direction.
- By using toon shading and material editing, one can get advanced support for 3D objects.
- Make changes in material properties of the 3D objects easily by looking at better object previews.
- Keywords, sub-words and boolean operations can be used for chat.
- You can create traditional style email as well.
Price: Moho Pro 2D animation software costs ₹ 35305.
Animaker is an online tool for creating 2D animations. It provides a variety of animated characters, properties, icons, BGs, charts and maps. One can create videos as well as presentation for both personal and professional usage.
Key features of Animaker:
- Get over 100 million stock photos and videos with this 2D animation software.
- 6 video styles are present to create various animated videos. Styles like handcraft, 2D, whiteboard, 2.5 D, infographics, and typography are incorporated in this software.
- There are 200 sound effects present to choose from.
- You can pick from thousands of templates and create videos in just 5 minutes.
- Several background music tracks are present to be included in your animation.
- Give voice to your animated characters and record voiceovers directly in the software.
- Videos can be exported in full HD quality.
Price: Animaker is a free 2D animation software with three paid versions. The personal version is for ₹ 840, the start-up version costs ₹ 1330, and the one for businesses starts at ₹ 2730.
Animation industry is growing exponentially, and if you are interested in animation, 2020 is the right time to get into it. Starting with 2D animation is a good option for beginners and professionals can improve their skillsets for better opportunities.