What Is Download Manager?
Download Manager is a software that ensures an instant and reliable download of files from the internet. It enables users to organize and manage their downloads with the features to start or pause their docs, keep them in the queue and place downloaded files in pre-defined folders. In fact, the download manager software can break the files into smaller pieces that can be downloaded simultaneously, thus enhancing the download speed.
Some internet download managers offer the ability to automatically scan the downloaded files and videos from websites. Moreover, it is an extremely beneficial tool for someone who frequently downloads files and looking for a solution to optimize the download speeds.
When to Use Download Manager?
The best download manager can be useful in the following scenarios:
- Limited bandwidth: When you have limited Internet bandwidth, using an internet download manager can help you in managing your downloads effectively. It even allows you to schedule the download during off-peak hours and limit the downloading speed to ensure that you don't exceed your bandwidth.
- Slow Internet connection: If you have an unreliable or lethargic Internet connection, the download manager lets you pause and resume your downloads as needed. It can help you in avoiding errors or interruptions.
- Multiple files download: Leveraging the internet download manager, you can easily download multiple files within a short period. You just have to add all the files in a queue and the software will take care of the downloads.
How Does Download Manager Work?
A download manager intercepts the download URL or links from the application or user's browser and manages the entire download process. Once the software detects the download link, it then analyzes the file to determine its type, size and other characteristics like the server from which that file is being downloaded. Moreover, the download manager creates numerous connections with the server that allows it to download the files in multiple parts, which speeds up the downloading process.
The download manager provides you the information about the download progress, estimated time remaining and current download speeds. If the download gets interrupted due to any reason, such as a power outage or poor network connection, the software automatically stops and resumes the process from where it stopped. Some download managers come with a feature to schedule downloads, set bandwidth limits and automatically extract the compressed file to a specified location.
Key Features of Download Manager Software
The key features of download manager software can vary depending on the specific program, but some common features include:
- Batch downloads: Download managers empower you to download multiple files at once. You can either download them simultaneously or put them in a queue for downloading.
- Browser Integration: The software can integrate with your web browser to intercept the download links, which allows you to start direct downloads from the browser.
- Virus Scanning: The automatic scanning feature automatically scans the downloaded file for malware or viruses, lowering the risk of damage to your data and computers.
- Scheduling: The scheduling feature allows you to download files at specific times. Using this feature, you can download large files during off-peak hours and get the maximum download speed.
- Acceleration of Download Speed: Thanks to the smart file segmentation technology, the download manager can accelerate the download speeds by up to 5 times. The software dynamically segments the download process and reuses the available connections and login stages for achieving the best possible performance.
- One Click Download: The moment you click on the download link, IDM does the rest and speeds up the download. You can simply browse the Internet as you normally as there is no need to take any particular action. Moreover, IDM. HTTP, FTP, HTTPS, and MMS protocols are used to accelerate your downloads.
- Supports all popular browsers: The download managers can be seamlessly integrated with Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, MSN Explorer, Opera Internet Explorer and all the other major browsers to seamlessly handle your downloads.
- Customizable Interface: The columns, buttons, and sequence in which they display on the main IDM window are customizable. The toolbar comes in a variety of skins with various button designs. The IDM main page offers download links for all skins. Users can also create their own skin designs.
- Quick Update: The quick update feature checks for the latest versions of the Internet download manager and ensure that it is updated once per week. All the new features are added in the latest version, plus the user's permission is also taken before commencing the update.
Benefits of Using Download Manager
Let's look at some amazing benefits of using download manager software:
- The download manager can store website passwords that make it easier for you to download from them in the future.
- You can set up sound alerts for finished downloads.
- The internet download manager can automatically download files in your browser.
- Some software allows you to remotely manage and monitor your downloads.
- You can save a list of download links to an encrypted file.
- You get the facility to move files up and down for download, depending upon the priority.
- It can automatically categorize downloads for seamless management.
- You can save a list of download links to an encrypted file.
- Thanks to a download manager, you can even download files from password-protected websites.
- There are a few download managers that allow you to preview image files before commencing the download.
- The software lets you see the file's download size before downloading and it can even run downloads as per a specific schedule.
Types of Download Managers
- Standalone Download Managers: Standalone download managers allow you to download files or any other data from the internet. Unlike the built-in download manager software, they offer more advanced features for increasing the download speeds, resuming paused or interrupted downloads, and scheduling a download for later. Download Accelerator Plus (DAP), JDownloader and Internet Download Manager (IDM) are some popular examples of Standalone download managers.
- Browser Extension Download Managers: These are software applications that can be added to your web browser as extensions or add-ons. The browser extension of download managers provides all the same attributes and functionalities as standalone download managers. Chrono download manager, Turbo download manager and Internet Download Accelerator are some noteworthy examples of browser extensions.
- FTP Download Managers: You can use File Transfer Protocol (FTP ) download managers to download data and files from the FTP servers. FTP is a common communication protocol used for downloading, transferring and uploading files between multiple computers via Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) networks. Some popular FTP download managers are FileZilla, FTP Manager Lite, WinSCP and SmartFTP.
Download Managers for Mobile Devices
- Android Download Managers: With the help of Android download managers, you can effectively manage all types of downloads on your Android phone or tablet from anywhere. They offer a pause and resume facility and allows you to speed up current downloads. It also lets you download multiple files at once. You can download multiple files simultaneously, choose the buffer size to optimize the download process, and select from multiple languages. Plus, you also get progress notifications and download notifications. The top Android download managers are Aria2App, Loader Droid, MyJDownloader, and Torrent apps.
- iOS Download Managers: iOS download managers help you in managing the downloads on your iPad or iPhone. Some software lets you download and store several files at the same time. Plus, you get a built-in browser with a media player. You also get a photo viewer, PDF viewer and bookmarking features in some new-age software solutions. In addition, you can sync your software with your iCloud account, open multiple tabs and accelerate the downloading speed. The best download managers for iOS devices are Downloader Pro, QWE, Easy Downloader, and iDownloader.
Download Managers for Various Platforms
- Windows Download Managers: Thanks to Windows download managers, you can seamlessly handle the downloads on your Windows computer. They can increase the download speed and support both pause & resume functionality. Plus, you can also download numerous files at the same time.
- macOS Download Managers: macOS Download Managers enable you to download multiple files on your Mac computer system. These platforms can accelerate download speed by downloading content from multiple connections at the same time and you can also resume interrupted or unfinished downloads. Another useful attribute is the ability to get download links from other web browsers. You will also get an in-built mirror search facility.
- Linux Download Managers: Most of the Linux download managers work on almost all major browsers and the built-in scanning feature protects your computer from viruses and other online threats. You can safely leave the downloads on pause and resume them from the very same place with ease. Plus, you also get the facility to resume downloads that were interrupted due to system failure. These download managers come with a bandwidth limit feature so that your internet is available for additional activities. Moreover, the queuing and scheduling facility lets you download files with utmost convenience.
- Cross-platform Download Managers: Cross-platform download managers are a perfect choice for those who want to manage multiple downloads on various operating systems. These applications support download scheduling, download acceleration, parallel downloads, and the pause and resume capability.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Download Manager
There is a wide range of download manager software available for purchase, hence it can be a challenging task to determine which one is perfect for your needs. You can consider the below-mentioned factors to choose the best software for your business.
- Download speed: You should opt for software that provides the facility to split the file into numerous smaller parts and downloads them at the same time.
- Pause & resume downloads: Ensure that your chosen software lets you pause and resume downloads as per requirement.
- Manage downloads: A good download manager platform allows you to manage your downloads effortlessly and sort them into various categories.
- Compatibility: You need to make sure that the software is compatible with your web browser and operating system.
- User interface: The download manager should have an intuitive user interface, plus it should be easy to use and simple to navigate.
- Pricing: Although some download managers are free to use, others come with a paid subscription. Hence, you should decide if you are ready to pay for the download manager. If your answer is yes, then you should allocate a budget to purchase the software.
- Safety & Security: When it comes to internet security & safety, download managers are usually safe to use. Nevertheless, you should always download them from trusted sources or official websites to avoid downloading malicious or fake software. Also, avoid using a cracked or pirated version as it might contain viruses. Moreover, you should read reviews and ratings by other users to find out about its performance and reliability.
- Technical Support & Updates: Always buy software that offers comprehensive technical support via phone, chat, or email. Check if the software comes with detailed tutorials and FAQs so that you can easily troubleshoot common problems on your own.