Video collaboration has become the way of life post the lockdown. Whether you have to host a business meeting, an educational or training session or connect with your clients, video conferencing app are in demand everywhere. So, which one are you using – Zoom vs Skype vs Teams vs Webex? Let’s find out which one of these will serve your collaboration needs.
Zoom VC or Zoom video communications is being used by businesses and educational institutes since 2011. Along with Zoom video conferencing, this platform is also popular for Zoom chat, meeting, video webinars, etc. through desktops, mobile devices and meeting rooms. However, its popularity increased significantly since the lockdown.
- Zoom Conferencing: Zoom video conferencing is quite popular forvideo collaboration with real-time content sharing and messaging. You can join Zoom meetings from anywhere and through any device with just a link.
- Zoom Chat & Zoom Meeting: With Zoom online, you cansend files and share content through chat. All Zoom chat messages can be recorded in a TXT file. You can also control the access to chat and allow or restrict attendees from in-meeting chat.
- Zoom Classroom: Zoom is helping improve student learning outcomes with features like HD video and audio, session recording and transcription and the integration with all major learning management systems.
- Zoom Video Recordings: With Zoom Pro, you can store up to 1GB of cloud recordings.
- Zoom Webinars: Zoom video webinars support up to 100 participants. And some of the Zoom webinar plans are eligible for up to 10,000 view only attendees.
- Maximum Number of Participants: Even with Zoom Free plan, you can host up to 100 participants. While Zoom Enterprise plan supports up to 500 participants.
- The on-screen whiteboard feature helps conduct brainstorming sessions with your remote teams.
- Allows screen sharing while you are on a video call.
- Even its free plan supports up to 100 participants for video conferencing.
- Further, it supports co-annotation on shared screens.
- The chat feature acts slow sometimes during the meeting
- The enterprise plan is a bit expensive as your team size increases.
While the Basic plan is free, the Zoom Pro plan starts at Rs 1143/month/host. However, its Business and Enterprise plans with many exclusive features cost around Rs 1523/month/host.
Well there has been the news about the compromising privacy policies of Zoom, and people are looking for Zoom alternatives. However, Zoom has recently introduced many new security features with the latest 5.0 updates to prevent Zoombombing.
Zoom App Integrations
Zoom Supporting OS
- Zoom for macOS 10.7 or later
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- Zoom for Windows 10, 8 or 8.1, 7
- Ubuntu 12.04 or higher
- Red Hat, Linux 6.4 and above
- Oracle Linux 6.4 or higher
- ArchLinux (64-bit only)
- Zoom for Android
Zoom vs Skype vs Teams vs Webex
Let's dive into the comparisons now.
Zoom vs Skype for Business & Teaching
|Zoom Vs Skype||Skype||Zoom|
|Recordings||Videos are stored for 30 days||Up to 1 GB of cloud reporting|
Skype Video Conference
Skype Call Recordings
|Zoom conferencing with HD audio & video |
Zoom Video Recordings
|Maximum Number of Participants||Up to 50 participants with the free version||Up to 100 participants with the free version|
|Supported OS||Skype for Windows XP, Vista & Windows 7 & 8 |
Skype for Mac Linux
Skype for Android & iOS.
|Zoom for macOS 10.7 or later |
Zoom for Windows 10, 8 or 8.1, 7
Ubuntu 12.04 or higher
Red Hat, Linux 6.4 and above
Oracle Linux 6.4 or higher
ArchLinux (64-bit only) Zoom for Android
|Pricing||You can use Skype with Skype credits & subscriptions||Zoom Pro plan starts at Rs 1143/month/host|
|Privacy||Only Skype to Skype chats, calls and videos are encrypted||Zoom has recently introduced many new security features with the latest 5.0|
About Skype Online
Skype web has been used quite popularly for one-on-one conversations and group video calls. You can manage your Skype account through any device, be it your Xbox, Alexa, mobile or PC. While the Skype web online is free, you can initiate audio and video calls with as many as 50 people easily.
For your organizational needs, you can use Skype for Business online and enjoy features like video conferencing, instant messaging, video call and document collaboration.
- Skype Phone: Using Skype for the calling feature is quite popular. You can make Skype calls through any wireless mobile device and get features like the on-screen menu to see who is online and available.
- Skype Video Conference: During Skype for Business web conference or free Skype conference calls, you can enjoy features for call recording, making background blur and screen sharing.
- Skype Chat: You can involve in instant messaging and group video chat with Skype web conferencing software.
- Skype Classroom: With Skype in the Classroom, you can take your students on virtual field trips and arrange guest speaker sessions.Also, your students can work on collaborative projects to learn new things.
- Skype Call Recordings: Video recordings can be saved for up to 30 days with the free plan.
- Skype Number of Participants: The free version supports up to 50 participants on a video call.
- An important platform for document and screen sharing
- Smaller teams can work conveniently with Skype free version
- Skype is incorporated with Office 365 and provides access to Microsoft Word, Excel and PPT
- Its features are quite user friendly.
- Skype often has glitches with multi-party calling
- The audio quality deteriorates when multiple parties are involved.
Zoom Vs Skype Pricing
You can use Skype technologies for free for any Skype to Skype video call, voice call or chat. However, when you are calling someone on landline or mobile number, you need to get Skype for Business pricing subscription or buy Skype credit. The credit for Skype web online is available on the call minutes basis.
Zoom Vs Skype Privacy
Skype encrypts all calls, videos, file transfers and chat messages from one Skype user to another. However, your calls from Skype to an ordinary phone number is not usually encrypted. Also, all your content is open for Microsoft to administer.
Zoom Vs Skype App Integrations
Zoom Vs Skype Supporting Devices
- Skype for Windows XP, Vista & Windows 7 & 8
- Skype for Mac Linux
- Skype for Android & iOS.
Zoom Vs Webex for Video Conferencing
|Zoom Vs Webex||Webex||Zoom|
|Number of Participants||Up to 200 participants in the 30-day free trial||Unlimited free plan with up to 100 participants|
|Conferencing Features||HD video & audio, screen & document sharing, whiteboards, in-meeting & recording notifications||Zoom conferencing with HD audio & video, Zoom Chat, Zoom Classroom, Zoom, Video Recordings, Zoom Webinars|
|Supported App Integrations||Microsoft Office, Google Calendar, Salesforce, Jira, SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business, etc.||Google Drive, Hipchat, Dropbox, Slack, HubSpot, Infusionsoft, etc.|
|Web Features||Multimedia content sharing Chat & brainstorming sessions Webinars Meeting Join Link In-meeting audio prompts Pre-meeting high frame rate wireless sharing||Virtual background Calendar integrations Chrome & Outlook plug-ins Multi-share Personal meeting room Appearance touch-up|
|Pricing||Business plan available at the price of Rs 2056/month/host||Zoom Pro plan starts at Rs 1143/month/host|
|Security||End-to-end encrypted cloud collaboration||Zoom has recently introduced many new security features with the latest 5.0|
About Cisco WebEx
Cisco Webex Meetings has a lot to offer at the time of lockdown. Webex offers a completely cloud-based content and video sharing cloud solution. Webex Meetings is a great tool for meeting and collaboration as it also provides access to Cisco Webex Teams (earlier known as Cisco Spark).
Cisco Webex Meetings Features
- Webex Call: With Cisco Webex calling, you can receive and make calls and turn them into meetings from any device.
- Webex Share Screen & Document Sharing: You can share the screen, files or any specific applications with Webex Meetings.
- Webex Board Whiteboards: Cisco Webex Meetings desktop app provideswhiteboards to share your ideas visually with other participants.
- In-Meeting Notifications: Cisco Webex sends notifications before a meeting is about to start. You can even customize the notification feature.
- Meeting Recording Notifications: Cisco Webex Meetings notifies as and when your recordings are available for sharing.
Webex Online Pros
- Provides exhaustive metrics about the performance of any web conference or webinar
- Instead of typing the long meeting passcode, you can join a meeting with the ‘Call Me’ feature
- A powerful admin interface to enhance the participants’ meeting experience.
Cisco Webex Cons
- The call quality is not that good in low-bandwidth network
- Cannot use multiple rooms at once.
Zoom Vs Webex Security
Cisco Webex ensures end-to-end encrypted cloud collaboration. Also, it provides many advanced integrations and control to ensure information security. Users get complete control and can manage their encryption keys and data confidentiality.
Zoom Vs Webex Pricing
If you compare Zoom vs Webex cost, you will find that the latter is a bit expensive with the business plan available at the price of Rs 2056 approx and supports up to 200 participants. While Zoom supports up to 500 participants at Rs 1523/month/host.
Zoom Vs Webex App Integrations
Cisco Webex can be integrated with any ongoing app to ensure that your projects are on track. It can be integrated with Salesforce, Jira, SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business, etc. Further, you can build your own app integrations on Cisco Webex software platform.
Zoom Vs Webex Supporting Devices
For joining a Webex meeting, you can use any device, be it:
- Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 & 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 10
- Mac OS 10.7, 10.10, 10.8, 10.9, 10.11
- Ubuntu 14.x (Gnome) and 12.x
- Red Hat 5, 6
- Open SuSE 13.1 and 13.2
- Fedora 19, 20 (all 32-bit).
Zoom Vs Teams for Education, Webinars & More
|Zoom Vs Teams||Microsoft Teams||Zoom|
|Exclusive Features||Integrated with Office 365, App Integrations, Live Collaboration in Real-Time, Conversation Threads, Collaboration with Clients vendors & Suppliers||Zoom conferencing with HD audio & video, Zoom Chat, Zoom Classroom, Zoom, Video Recordings, Zoom Webinars|
|Best For||Office 365 users for secure internal & external communications||Those who can navigate security settings to enjoy its interactive & simple user interface|
|Supported App Integrations||Office 365, Wrike, RingCentral, Freehand, Soapbox, etc.||Google Drive, Hipchat, Dropbox, Slack, HubSpot, Infusionsoft, etc.|
|Pricing||Get Microsoft Teams at the price at low as Rs 150/user/month.||Zoom Pro plan starts at Rs 1143/month/host|
|Security||Microsoft Teams is ISO 270001 and SSAE16 SOC certified||Zoom has recently introduced many new security features with the latest 5.0|
About Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams is a video and chat-based collaboration tool with remote and dispersed teams globally. Your teams and external parties can collaborate and work together through a common online platform. Software and apps for Teams help with document collaboration, Teams chat, and more in Office 365. You can start using Office 365 Teams for free with its Business & Enterprise plan.
MS Team Features
- Integrated with Office 365: Allows using Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and other Office 365 applications easily.
- App Integrations: Access to OneDrive, Email, SharePoint and other productivity tools.
- Live Collaboration in Real-Time: You can work with your team on files and projects together for real-time collaboration.
- Conversation Threads: It displays the chat history to track the flow of communication.
- Collaboration with Clients, vendors & Suppliers: You can communicate with them as guest users.
Microsoft Teams Online Pros
- Increased team productivity
- Reduced dependency on emails
- Access MS Teams app or software across all devices
- Quick integration with third-party applications.
Microsoft Teams Web Cons
- Limited flexibility in moving a channel or replicating a team
- Online meeting experience can be more intuitive.
Zoom Vs Microsoft Teams Pricing
You can get the license for Microsoft Teams at the price at low as Rs 150/user/month. This way, Microsoft Teams is much cost-effective than Zoom vs Webex vs Skype for the business use.
Zoom Vs Microsoft Teams Security
If you are looking for Zoom alternatives because of the security issues, Microsoft Teams can be a great option with security features like two-factor authentication and data encryption both in transit and in rest. Also, it’s ISO 270001 and SSAE16 SOC certified.
Zoom Vs Microsoft Teams Supporting Devices
You can use Microsoft Teams apps and software across all devices, such as:
- Microsoft Teams Linux
- Microsoft Teams for Ubuntu
- Microsoft Teams for Mac
- Microsoft Teams desktop app
If you are looking for the best Zoom alternatives to enjoy uninterrupted video conferencing, webinars and group chats, this guide on Zoom Vs Skype Vs Teams Vs Webex is for you! Depending upon your budget and collaboration needs, you might go for Zoom vs Skype comparison or look for Zoom vs Teams features. Some of you will also opt for Zoom vs Webex comparison chart. After all, the more options you have, the better decision you can make.