Language Translation Software: Overview
Language translation software helps translate texts from one language to another while keeping the original format intact. Language translation software assists in storing and editing translations while also ensuring robust quality control. The best translation tools maintain quality control in terms of spelling, grammar, and consistency. It creates a memory of all the terminologies you use frequently to make things easier as you work on multiple translation projects simultaneously.
Translation software can be broadly categorized into computer-aided translation and machine translation. While CAT or computer-aided translation tools assist with the translation process, machine translation software translates texts directly with the help of artificial intelligence.
Who Uses Language Translation Software
Language translation software is ideal for translating texts into photos and documents. End users deploy these for both offline and online translation. Hindi language translators make use of online converters from Hindi to English for typing in Hindi and translating in English. Translation software is available for many other languages as well. Let us have look at the potential users of language translation software:
- UX writers
- Localization manager
- Marketing product manager
- Product officers
- Software Engineer
- Writer and copywriter
- Business owner
- Digital strategist
- Mid-market professional
Why Use Language Translation Software for PC or Mobile
Professional translators often use computer-assisted translation tools to ensure that their work is consistent and accurate. Translation software provides all the required tools to enhance the quality of the translated text. AI-powered translation tools help with contextual translation by referring to your previous translated works and the summary of terminologies used before.
What is the Purpose of Language Translation Software
Translation tools help in making the work of translators faster and more accurate. Translation software also adds to the content quality with tools for word processing, spell check, and the dictionary of terminologies. The translation memory feature makes the work of translators smooth by auto suggesting terminologies based on their previous work.
Most Popular Types of Language Translation Tools
- Cloud-Based Translation Tools: Cloud-based translation tools are web-based applications that can be used and accessed online via web browsers. Cloud-based translation software requires no hardware setup and is compatible with multiple platforms. Translations done here can be saved in real-time and bug fixes are quick. Cloud based translation tools can be further categorized into:
- Free Online Translation Tools: Free online translation tools provide free translation of web pages and documents in real-time. Free translation tools often come with limitations in terms of word count and features.
- Premium Online Translation Tools: Premium online translation tools are advanced versions of most translation solutions, which include all the advanced features.
- Desktop (offline) Translation Tools: Desktop translation tools are used for working offline without an internet connection. These types of translators have inbuilt proxy support for working offline and doing automated language recognition.
- Standalone Translation Software: Standalone translation software provides all the basic features of the computer-assisted translation software. This type of translation software often lacks advanced features like workflow management and project planning.
- Built-in Translation Tools: Built-in translation tools provide all basic computer-assisted translation features along with the support for project planning, workflow management, customer management portal, etc.
- Machine Translation Tools: Machine translation tools are for automated language translation without any human intervention. Machine translation provides fast results.
- Computer-Assisted Translation Tools: Computer assisted translation tools are often used by professional translators to add accuracy and consistency to their work. This tool is there to assist translators with spell check, grammar check, and translation memory.
Key Features of Language Translation Software
- Quality Tracker: Language translation software solutions track errors of all kinds including grammatical, spelling as well as formatting for the perfect translated copy.
- Live Editing: Editing tools can be used by professionals and linguists for making translation changes in real-time and doing iterations and approvals.
- Automatic Formatting: Enterprise translation software automatically formats your translated content in terms of layout, spacing, paragraph breaking, and image alignment.
- Spellcheck: Translation software with integrated spell-check capabilities reduces the time to proofread the translated files.
- Audio Translations: Speech translation software helps conveniently upload the scripts and convert them into audio files for purposes like employee training and other internal purposes.
- Electronic Dictionary: Translation management systems provide an inbuilt electronic dictionary to help you double-check any word's or phrase's meaning.
- Translation Memory: Translation memory stores text segments and their translation within a database so that users can refer those quickly.
- Terminology Manager: The terminology manager stores and retrieves the exact meaning of words and phrases so that translations are accurate and correct.
Paid, Free, Desktop or Cloud-Based - Which Language Translation Software is Best for You
Finding the right translation tool, which fits your requirement would depend on research. Many translation tools are available, and you may check their functionalities individually by opting for a free trial or online demo. While some of the free translation tools do not charge any subscription fee, others ask for a licensing fee. However, many of these transcription solutions offer trial versions for interested buyers.
You can also choose between cloud based and desktop-based translation tools, depending on whether you want to use it online or offline. It is advisable to try a few translation software solutions before making the right choice. Ultimately, paid, free or cloud-based, the best translation management system would also depend on:
- Size of your translation project
- Supportive customer service
- User-friendly interface
- Minimal system slowdowns or crashes
- Diverse language support
- Grammar & spell check features
What are the Major Issues with Translation Software for Documents
- Language Structure: Every language has its structure and when you translate, it is important to reframe the structure and add or remove the source words for the right sentence framing.
- Translating Expressions & Idioms: File translating becomes difficult when the sentence in question is an expression or some idiom. Machine translation engines are yet to predict the literal definitions of such idioms.
- Compound Words: Compound words may not always convey the exact meaning in translation. Translation tools might get confused between the meaning of individual words and their meaning when combined together.
- Words With Several Meanings: There are words with a different spelling but the same pronunciation. For example, break and coffee break. Then there are words with the same spelling but different pronunciations like break and brake. Here translations get a bit difficult.