Backup software are bundles of computer programs that allow creation of supplementary copies of the entire data including files and databases from specified source location(s). The backup later can be used to restore the copies to get the original data back in case of data loss. The revolutionary speed of digital media and technology, backup software are becoming urgent priority. In case of any accidental data loss or crashing of the storage disks, the backup software come to rescue and prevent permanent data loss. In the world of cloud computing, there are software that allow creation of supplementary copies of the data in the virtual space without using any extra physical disk thereby reducing the backup costs. Although, conventions PC backup software do provide data recovery options, yet they need extra cost to be incurred for physical drives.
The best backup software are those that not only provide easy and effortless data backup facility but also provides instant and hassle-free recovery options as well. As you look forward to an ideal backup software, do consider the following:
- Voluming: Data can be compressed and split into various parts to be stored on even the small media storage devices seamlessly with voluming capabilities. However, use of quite small, portable and durable drives that can be connected through USB and enhanced broadband capacities provide reliable methods to transport the backup data.
- Data Compression: Data must be compressed so as to use lesser space on the storage drive thereby saving storage space and reducing the drive costs in turn.
- Data Access to Open Files: To prevent unauthorised data access to the open files, the plug-ins are provided by ideal backup software thereby allowing exclusive data access and locked files.
- Backup Types: Both differential as well as incremental backups along with full backup facilities should be provided that enables only backup of the changed or new data. This not only saves the backup process time but speeds up the process as well.
- Scheduling: Backup scheduling must be supported for increase backup reliability and reduced maintenance of the backup tools.
- Encryption: Some backup software support cryptography features to protect the backup from data thefts.
- Transaction management: Backup integrity can be enforced with transaction mechanisms with Commit and Rollback transaction support.