A learning management system (LMS) is a software application that expedites the schools, colleges and other education institutions in documentation, administration, tracking, and reporting. In today’s age of computerization, institutions have to look forward to the automation or software solution for resultant management of all processes and functions. A learning management system software incorporates all automation needs ranging from application forms to the issue of certificates to the students. Other aspects include management of students, attendance, classes, exams, staff, payroll, inventory, campus, financial accounting, transportation et al. Record keeping or documentation is also one of the most tedious task that can be efficiently carried out with a competent learning management software.
The most sought features of an LMS include:
- Student Registration and Administration: The process cycle starts with the student registration and admissions. Issue of application forms, receiving and maintaining the accurate info is very important. The admission processes and flow is defined with this feature in the learning management software. Student administration is a crucial process that can be well managed with a sound LMS.
- Curriculum and Course: The details of all the courses, curriculum and timetable accommodating the course delivery plans are defined and maintained here. This component of LMS is the most vital for smooth and successful functioning of an institution. Timetables can be defined here and trainers can be assigned for each subject mapping to the defined timetable.
- Attendance Management: Attendance of students and staff can be captured with the integrated biometric machines or simply can be marked in the automated system. This feature helps tracking and controlling the absenteeism among the students and staff. Leaves can be requested and approved with this feature as well.
- Fee and Accounting: To effectively achieve the financial gains and profitability in the institutions, LMS offers Fee & Accounting features that let the institutions carry out the fee collection, fee status tracking, and various accounting operations readily.
- Class Management: This features allows the institutions to create classes/ batches with or without sections. The students are allotted their respective classes and class teachers or in-charges are assigned.
- Examination and Result: Examination schedules, seating plans and result dates are defined here. The result generation is one of the most complex tasks that can be simplified on the fly with LMS.
- Staff Management: Staff details, roles and profiles are defined pre-hand as the foremost activity. Tasks assigned and performance status can be effortlessly captured so as to take the effective decisions in retaining or relieving the staff members and deciding about the extended roles as well as appraisals.
- Payroll: All payroll operations ranging from pay structuring to pay slip generations considering the leaves and relevant deductions can be readily performed flawlessly.
- Parent Portal: A learning management system must provide a parent portal to facilitate the parents track all the activities in the school such as attendance, events, results et al. With the trending use of technology, SMS and email integration is much needed to keep the parents updated.
- Event Management: Various events and activities can be planned in the academic year and corresponding notifications can be generated in this regard. The calendar events and activities are considered while scheduling the curriculum duration and timetable.